N. Korea develops warship camouflageAugust 23rd, 2010 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug.23 (ANI): North Korea has developed warship camouflage materials such as stealth paint to hide warships, tanks or fighter jets from foreign reconnaissance satellites and aircraft.
A confidential field manual used by Pyongyang military showed the isolated regime has also built a network of foxholes and caves, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported.
The newspaper said the manual quoted North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il as saying: “Modern warfare is stealth warfare. We can say that victory or defeat will be determined by how we carry out stealth warfare.”
The handbook, printed in 2005, was smuggled out of the North by a source through Caleb Mission, a South Korean Christian organisation.
It gives detailed instructions on how to make and apply the stealth paint, which absorbs radar waves, Chosun Ilbo said.
The manual describes how to conceal facilities or equipment and how to make military units look as though they are moving when they are not to deceive South Korean and US reconnaissance.
Chosun Ilbo quoted an unnamed intelligence expert as saying he was surprised to find that the North’s military has done “more intensive and careful research into stealth tactics than we thought”.
Yonhap news agency carried a similar report.
The handbook describes concealing long-range artillery equipment by applying radar-reflective materials, it said.
The North’s military was also ordered to pave fake aircraft runways to deceive foreign prying eyes, Yonhap said. (ANI)
- Warship camouflage developed by North Korea - Aug 23, 2010
- What Manmohan would get to eat at Seoul - Mar 26, 2012
- Five North Korean defectors 'shot dead' - Jan 12, 2011
- Human torpedoes blamed for sinking of South Korean ship - Apr 23, 2010
- China denies reports of 'Beijing dispatching troops' in N. Korea to protect citizens - Jan 17, 2011
- South Korea on high alert after navy battle with North Korea - Nov 11, 2009
- China's stealth fighter based on US nighthawk - Jan 24, 2011
- North Korean human torpedoes sunk South Korean ship - Apr 22, 2010
- N. Korean leader, son visited artillery base just before S. Korean island was hit - Nov 26, 2010
- North and South Korea exchange fire - Aug 10, 2011
- US troops parachuted into North Korea : official - May 30, 2012
- North Korea threatens to destroy South's 'propaganda' loudspeakers - Jun 12, 2010
- North Korea soldiers chase defectors into China to kill - Jan 12, 2011
- China develops new stealth fighter using downed US bomber - Mar 14, 2011
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: aircraft runways, artillery equipment, camouflage materials, careful research, chosun ilbo, christian organisation, fighter jets, foxholes, intelligence expert, kim jong il, korean leader, modern warfare, north korean leader kim jong il, prying eyes, radar waves, range artillery, reconnaissance satellites, reflective materials, stealth tactics, stealth warfare