N-deal, Iran sanction to figure in Mathai’s talks in USFebruary 6th, 2012 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 6 (IANS) Implementation of the India-US civil nuclear deal, sanctions against Iran and the Af-Pak situation are among the host of bilateral and regional issues expected to figure in talks between Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai with US officials.
A meeting with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is also on the cards during Mathai’s first bilateral visit to the United States indicating the importance being attached to India-US relationship by the Obama administration.
Mathai, who arrived here Sunday, may also meet with Obama’s National Security Advisor Tom Donilon when he goes to the White House for a meeting with Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economic Affairs Michael Froman.
For official level talks Tuesday, he is scheduled to meet Deputy Secretary of State William Burns, undersecretary of state for political affairs Wendy Sherman, and assistant secretary of state for South and Central Asia Robert Blake.
Last week, state department spokesman Mark Toner said the US officials would be discussing with Mathai all of the issues that fall under their strong bilateral relationship, as well as many global issues.
Among the issues top on the list, officials said are the sanctions against Iran, Af-Pak situation, implementation of the India-US civilian nuclear deal and the upcoming India-US Strategic Dialogue in Washington later this year.
He is scheduled to speak on “Building on Convergence: Deepening the India-US Strategic Partnership” at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) Monday.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Clinton's visit: India, US to discuss Afghanistan, Iran, n-deal (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Mathai meets Clinton, says India committed to n-deal - Feb 09, 2012
- 'US has enormous stake in India's emergence as a global power' - Jun 13, 2012
- India, US to hold strategic dialogue, Iran high on agenda - Jun 08, 2012
- Obama's top national security aide to visit India, China - Oct 19, 2011
- Obama committed 'true global, strategic partnership' with India - Jan 30, 2011
- Mathai to visit US next week: N-deal, Iran on agenda - Feb 01, 2012
- Clinton meets PM - May 07, 2012
- India, US to consolidate global strategic partnership - Jan 26, 2012
- PM heads to Tehran for NAM summit, Iran ties in focus (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Clinton's India visit: Afghanistan, Iran, n-deal on agenda - May 04, 2012
- India shall overcome, Krishna tells US business (Lead)Indian - Jun 13, 2012
- India, US to work for implementing n-deal (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- India, US iron out n-liability issue, discuss Af-Pak - Dec 13, 2011
- Menon meets Clinton to prepare for strategic dialogue - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: arun kumar, bilateral relationship, central asia, centre for strategic and international studies, hillary clinton, international economic affairs, iran sanction, mark toner, national security advisor, nuclear deal, obama, political affairs, ranjan, regional issues, robert blake, sanctions against iran, state department spokesman, strategic partnership, wendy sherman, william burns