Myanmar signs two agreements with Sri LankaJune 15th, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, June 15 (DPA) Myanmar and Sri Lanka strengthened diplomatic relations over the weekend with the signing of two agreements that eased visa restrictions and pledged cooperation in the tourism sector, media reports said Monday.
The two agreements were signed Sunday when Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa paid a state visit to Myanmar’s new capital of Naypyitaw at the invitation of junta chief Senior General Than Shwe, The New Light of Myanmar, a government mouthpiece, reported.
The two leaders discussed means of furthering cooperation in “religion, trade, economy, education, agriculture, forest, hotels and tourism, transport, as well as in regional and international arenas”, the newspaper said.
Sri Lanka and Myanmar are predominantly Buddhist countries. Both countries have also been widely criticised by Western democracies for human rights abuses in their offensives against rebel groups - the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka and the Karens in Myanmar.
While in Naypyitaw, 350 km north of Yangon, Rajapaksa and Than Shwe witnessed the signing of an agreement between the two countries’ foreign ministries that allows visa exemptions for all holders of diplomatic and official passports.
Also signed was a memorandum of understanding to boost tourism cooperation between Myanmar and Sri Lanka.
- Pakistan, Sri Lanka to increase trade to over $2 bn - Feb 11, 2012
- Myanmar military chief on goodwill visit to India - Jul 25, 2010
- Sri Lanka, Pakistan seek closer ties - Nov 29, 2010
- Rajapaksa visits Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Krishna in Myanmar to sign infrastructure deals (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 20, 2011
- Myanmar military supremo plans goodwill visit to India - Jul 22, 2010
- Myanmar: a nation on cusp of change (Myanmar Newsletter) - Jun 26, 2011
- Krishna wraps up Myanmar engagement; focus on capacity building (Roudnup) - Jun 22, 2011
- Myanmar, India to speed up renovation of Arnanda Pagoda - Apr 27, 2011
- Krishna leaves for Myanmar, to sign several agreements (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Australia to double Myanmar aid - Jun 10, 2012
- Krishna lands in Myanmar capital - Jun 21, 2011
- Krishna visiting Myanmar to engage civilian government - Jun 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Krishna goes to Myanmar to step up trade (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: buddhist countries, diplomatic relations, human rights abuses, international arenas, karens, mahinda rajapaksa, memorandum of understanding, mouthpiece, naypyitaw, passports, president mahinda rajapaksa, rebel groups, sri lankan president, tamil tigers, tourism cooperation, tourism sector, trade economy, visa restrictions, western democracies, yangon