Myanmar outfit trained Bangladesh Islamist militants: ReportMay 19th, 2009 - 11:23 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 19 (IANS) A banned Myanmarese insurgent group has been training Bangladesh’s Islamist militants since the 1980s, a newspaper report said Tuesday.
Banned Bangladeshi outfit Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) has had close links with the Rohingya Solidarity Organisation (RSO), an insurgent group operating in the Arakan state of Myanmar, JMB’s explosives’ expert ‘Boma’ Mizan revealed during interrogation. Mizan was arrested May 14.
Interrogators of the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) said Mizan and some other JMB operatives received training from RSO arms experts in a camp near the Myanmar border.
This was arranged by the JMB chief Shaekh Abdur Rahman, who was executed after being convicted for murder. In exchange for the firearms lessons, JMB trained Rohingyas to improvise and set off bombs, The Daily Star newspaper said.
Harkat-ul-Jihad-al Islami (HuJI) Bangladesh, another outlawed Islamist outfit, had strong connections with RSO.
“Mizan said the training by RSO was conducted somewhere in Chittagong hill tracts and lasted 10 days. He has yet to give further details,” an investigator told The Daily Star.
A Chittagong court is currently hearing a case of an aborted shipment of arms and ammunition, purchased from China and meant for the Indian insurgent group, United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
- Bangladeshi couple jailed for 37 years - Jun 03, 2012
- Jama'atul Mujahideen militants receive military training in Pakistan - Jun 25, 2009
- Key Bangladeshi militants taking training in Pakistan: Official - Jun 23, 2009
- We have snapped Islamist-ultra Left nexus: Dhaka - Apr 25, 2010
- From Afghanistan to Arakans, militants converge on Dhaka - Mar 30, 2010
- Dhaka jails two militants for 2005 serial bombings - Jun 22, 2010
- Militants were hired from India to kill Hasina, Zia: Report - Aug 06, 2009
- Myanmarese nationals get jail for entering India illegally - Mar 24, 2012
- 31 Myanmar nationals held in Tripura - Dec 17, 2011
- Bangladesh PM gets death threat from militants - Jan 06, 2011
- Bangladeshi terror group operates despite ban - Sep 15, 2010
- Dhaka sees terror link in border guards' mutiny - Mar 12, 2009
- 'Islamist militants regrouping in Bangladesh' - Apr 29, 2009
- 12 more Myanmarese held in Tripura - Mar 08, 2012
- Hundreds being tossed across Bangladesh-Myanmar border: Report - Oct 16, 2009
Tags: abdur rahman, arakan state, atul, chittagong hill tracts, daily star, explosives expert, harkat ul, huji, insurgent group, interrogators, islamist militants, jmb, mujahideen, myanmar border, newspaper report, rapid action, rohingya, rohingyas, ulfa, united liberation front