Myanmar, India step up cooperation in health sectorAugust 3rd, 2011 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, Aug 3 (IANS) Myanmar and India are stepping up bilateral cooperation in the health sector, a media report said.
Talks have taken place between the Myanmar Union Health Minister Pe Thet Khin and Indian Ambassador to Myanmar Villur Sundararajan Seshadri in Nay Pyi Taw, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The negotiation covered upgrading of Yangon’s Children’s Hospital and Sittway General Hospital, provision of telemedicine for Yangon General Hospital, training specialists and other medical professionals for liver transplantation and other subjects, said the official daily New Light of Myanmar reported Wednesday.
In February, India held a pharmaceuticals exposition in Yangon, showcasing pharmaceutical products and medical equipment of India.
Myanmar imported over 5,000 categories of pharmaceutical products from abroad annually and the import in the fiscal year 2009-10 registered a value of $147.7 million, an increase of 17.4 percent from 2008-09.
According to official statistics, Myanmar-India bilateral trade reached $1.07 billion in 2010-11, standing as Myanmar’s fourth largest trading partner after Thailand, Singapore and China.
Of the total, Myanmar’s export to India amounted to $876.91 million, while its import from India was valued at $194.92 million.
- Myanmar, India to speed up renovation of Arnanda Pagoda - Apr 27, 2011
- Myanmar president to visit India - Oct 10, 2011
- France, Myanmar hold talks - Jan 16, 2012
- India, Myanmar sign MoU on border security cooperation - Jan 22, 2012
- India, Myanmar ink a dozen agreements (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- PM leaves for Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Manmohan, Thein Sein embark on 'new journey' (Third Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Myanmar's first vice president resigns - Jul 04, 2012
- PM arrives in Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- PM to Thein Sein: India, Myanmar on new journey of cooperation (Second Lead) - May 28, 2012
- India eyes trade, connectivity during PM's Myanmar visit - May 25, 2012
- India, Myanmar ink 12 agreements - May 28, 2012
- India starts river project in Myanmar - Dec 20, 2010
- Zardari visits Myanmar - Jan 25, 2012
- Manmohan Singh in Myanmar: An Indian PM's visit after 25 years (Lead) - May 27, 2012
Tags: bilateral cooperation, bilateral trade, export to india, general hospital, health minister, health sector, indian ambassador, khin, liver transplantation, medical equipment, medical professionals, official statistics, pharmaceutical products, s hospital, seshadri, taw, telemedicine, thet, training specialists, xinhua