My wife has always dreamt of me getting an Oscar: RahmanJanuary 24th, 2009 - 11:22 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 24 (IANS) “Slumdog Millionaire” music director A.R. Rahman says getting three Oscar nominations is more of a “dream come true” for his wife as she has always wanted him to win the coveted international honour.”What can I say? It’s a dream come true not so much for me as my wife. She’d wake up in the middle of the night and say, ‘I want you to win an Oscar’. And I’d just smile. Today my wife’s dream seems a possibility,” Rahman told IANS on phone from Chennai.
“But I don’t want to get too hopeful,” he quickly added. “Let’s just rejoice for the nomination at the moment. I’m happy not just for myself but Gulzar saab who has been nominated for the lyrics of ‘Jai ho’. I wish Javed saab had got nominated too. If he had written a song in ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ I’m sure he too would’ve been nominated,” the music director said.
Rahman has received the three Oscar nominations for the music he composed for British filmmaker Danny Boyle’s rags-to-riches film “Slumdog Millionaire”. While one nomination is for best original score, two are for the best original songs - “Jai ho” and “O saya”.
The composer said he is glad he was in Chennai with his family when the nominations were announced.
“My wife and children jumped with joy when they heard the announcement. And my mother is also here with me. It’s all her prayers and support and her upbringing that’s bearing fruit now,” he said.
Rahman was actually supposed to be in Mumbai for the premiere of the Hindi version of “Slumdog Millionaire” Thursday.
“Because of some work in Chennai I couldn’t attend the premiere in Mumbai. It happened for the best. Because otherwise I wouldn’t be here with my family to share this moment.”
Rahman says he wasn’t too sure of making it to the Oscar nominations after he got the Golden Globe. “I know the Golden Globes are the precursors to the Oscars. But honestly, it sometimes works in reverse. Bruce Springsteen, who got the Golden Globe, hasn’t got into the Oscar. Thank God, it went the right way for me.”
He now looks forward to the Oscar award ceremony. “The ceremony is on Feb 22. But I’ve business to attend to. So I’ll be leaving for LA (Los Angeles) very shortly. And, yes, my wife will be attending the Oscar ceremonies with me. How can she not? She dreamt this dream for me.”
All he asks for now is the prayers of his countrymen.
“It’s a moment of pride not just for me. India has done it. Pray that I bring home the Oscar,” he said.
Rahman got his first big break in Mani Ratnam’s “Roja” and later composed music for many films in southern India. His first full-fledged Bollywood project was Ram Gopal Varma’s hit “Rangeela”.
The musical genius not only won hearts in India but also made a mark on the global music scene. He got his first international break when Andrew Lloyd Webber invited him to compose music for the Broadway musical “Bombay Dreams”, which won him immense fame. He also composed for the stage adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord Of The Rings” that premiered in Canada in 2006 and in London in 2007.
- 'Jai ho' Rahman at Golden Globe nominations again (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Rahman got one Oscar and then the other one was a bonus: Gulzar - Mar 02, 2011
- Chennai celebrates A. R. Rahman winning two Grammy awards - Feb 01, 2010
- Rahman hopes 'DAM 999' brings back Oscar - Dec 21, 2011
- Rahman to perform at Oscars again - Feb 05, 2011
- Rahman loses out on Globe Globe (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Golden Globe nomination blessing beyond words: Rahman - Dec 15, 2010
- I've never dreamt of winning these awards: Rahman - Feb 01, 2010
- Young singers have universal appeal: A.R.Rahman - Dec 23, 2011
- A R Rahman Waiting For '127 Hours'! - Jan 06, 2011
- Rahman in Oscar run again with two nominations for '127 Hours' - Jan 25, 2011
- Gulzar on Grammy nomination of Jai Ho - Dec 08, 2009
- Rahman performs at Oscars again - Feb 27, 2012
- No action against Ismail Darbar: Oscar panel - Jun 10, 2011
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: bearing fruit, best original score, british filmmaker, bruce springsteen, chennai, danny boyle, golden globe, golden globes, gulzar, hindi version, international honour, jai, jan 24, javed, music director, precursors, rags to riches, saya, score two, three oscar nominations