Mussolini was MI 5’s man in ItalyOctober 14th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct.14 (ANI): Former Italian dictator Benito Mussolini was MI 5’s point person in that country as a young man in 1917, Cambridge historians have revealed.
According to The Times, for at least a year, the young socialist was paid 100 pounds a week by the UK government - around 6,000 pounds today - to write pro-war propaganda for his newspaper Il Popolo d’Italia, one of the slickest media machines the country, and keep Italian troops fighting at the front.
“Mussolini wasn’t exactly house-trained,” said Dr Peter Martland, the Cambridge historian who made the discovery.
“We know he was a womaniser par excellence. There’s the potential that a lot of money was spent on that,” he added.British MP Sir Samuel Hoare, who would almost two decades later become Foreign Secretary, brokered the deal in the hope that Mussolini’s newsprint would reach the disgruntled masses of industrialised workers, halt the strikes and overturn pacifism.
It is unlikely that Hoare and Mussolini ever met, but Dr Martland estimates that the over-inflated wage was small beer for British budgets, from which the war was leeching four million pounds every day.
The two men went their separate ways after the armistice. Mussolini established a bloody fascist dictatorship, while Hoare worked his way through the ranks of government. The two came together again in 1935 when the British foreign secretary signed the Hoare-Laval Pact, and gave his old payee control of Abyssinia.
Dr Martland made the discovery studying a huge cache of Sir Samuel’s papers.
Running to more than 40,000 documents and 12 years in studying, they constitute one of the biggest political collections in the world. (ANI)
- Mussolini was a British spy - Oct 14, 2009
- Churchill 'ordered assassination of Mussolini to protect secret letters' - Sep 03, 2010
- 'News of the World' Whistleblower Sean Hoare found dead - Jul 19, 2011
- UK to rebuild world's first room-sized recognisably modern computer - Jan 14, 2011
- Mussolini's granddaughter lashes out at Carla Bruni over immigrants - Apr 08, 2011
- Medieval record sheds light on London's Italian bankers - Jul 25, 2012
- Spy who fed information on Hitler's secrets during World War II revealed - Feb 13, 2010
- Diaries belonging to Benito Mussolini 'hidden near Swiss border' - Jun 19, 2010
- Italy film archive to sue over Mussolini iPhone clippings - Feb 03, 2010
- 100 works of renaissance artist Caravaggio found - Jul 07, 2012
- Britain planned to assassinate Mussolini in 1943: Undisclosed documents - Mar 12, 2010
- Judge forgives teen rapist, blames internet porn - Jul 03, 2012
- Hitler was a great man, says Holocaust denier David Irving - Sep 28, 2010
- 358 leeches used to reconstruct woman's face - Sep 21, 2011
- Berlusconi to write memoir on his private life - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,