Muslim woman whipped in public for wearing trousersDecember 14th, 2010 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 14 (IANS) A Sudanese Muslim woman was publicly whipped for wearing trousers, a video released on the internet shows.The woman was apparently punished under the Sharia law for wearing trousers under her Islamic clothing, Sky News reported Tuesday.
The footage shows her crawling on the ground, raising her arm to try to ward off the attacks and screaming as the whip strikes.
The video also shows a man laughing at the woman after she is whipped.
It was, however, not clear as to who released the video on the internet.
This public punishment has sparked protests among women in Sudan against laws they said humiliated women. Dozens of them have been arrested.
The governor of Khartoum, capital of Sudan, meanwhile, said there had been a mistake in the way the woman’s punishment was carried out.
Sudan President Omar al-Bashir came to power in an Islamist-backed coup in 1989. Two years later he extended Sharia laws. The laws are enforced by his public order police, who seek out what are known as “trouser girls”.
Last year, a woman named Lubner Hussein became an overnight icon for many women in Africa and the Middle East, when she challenged the laws and dared the courts to flog her.
She ended up being fined for wearing trousers to court.
- Muslim woman returns to court for trial over Sundanese 'indecency' laws - Sep 07, 2009
- Sudanese woman faces 40 lashes for wearing trousers - Jul 29, 2009
- Pant wearing Sudanese woman dares to whip her - Aug 02, 2009
- Woman faces death by stoning in Sudan - Aug 02, 2012
- Sudan against holding talks with Juba over oil - Apr 21, 2012
- Sudan's president warns protesters of 'incinerating summer' - Jul 12, 2012
- Actor George Clooney among arrested in Sudan protest - Mar 18, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- Doncaster Woman Steals Safe Between Her Legs - Jun 01, 2011
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister - Mar 02, 2012
- Saudi women with attractive eyes may be forced to cover them - Nov 19, 2011
- Woman drops pant after rat runs up her trouser - Jun 12, 2012
- Pakistani Taliban defends flogging, says Sharia permits it - Apr 04, 2009
- Dubai, Sudan police sign cooperation protocol - Feb 10, 2012
- AU presses Sudan, South Sudan to seal deal by Aug 2 - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: africa and the middle east, capital of sudan, coup, dozens, girls, islamic clothing, khartoum, london, mistake, muslim woman, omar al bashir, protests, public punishment, sharia law, sharia laws, sky news, sudanese, trousers, whip, women in africa