Muslim waiter at US hotel told not to reveal nameMay 1st, 2011 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 1 (IANS) A Muslim waiter at a New York hotel has said he was told to work under a fake name so that guests would not be scared over his Islamic identity, a media report said.
Moroccan-born Mohamed Kotbi, who works at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel, said he was forced to wear a name badge with “Edgar” written on it, the Daily Mail reported.
Kotbi, who has worked for the hotel since December 1984, is now suing it for religious and racial discrimination. The hotel has declined to comment.
The waiter said that after the 9/11 attack, he was first asked to change his name badge to one that said “John”.
“I put it on. I was in shock,” the waiter told the New York Post.
When Kotbi complained to the hotel management, he was reportedly told: “We don’t want to scare our guests.”
He filed discrimination lawsuits with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in 2005 and 2009, and was given a name tag with his own surname on it.
But in November last year, he was reportedly given a name badge that said “Edgar”.
“It’s better to be Edgar than Mohamed today,” he was told.
Kotbi has accused the hotel of creating a “hostile work environment”.
He also alleged in court documents that he was repeatedly called “terrorist” and “Al Qaeda boy”.
- Waldorf waiter told to change name from Mohammed to avoid frightening guests - May 01, 2011
- Guilty Paris Hilton avoids prison, gets 1-yr suspended sentence - Sep 21, 2010
- Parna Ghose goes to NY Couture Fashion Week - Sep 06, 2012
- Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame – Who Made It To The 2011 Class And Who Didn’t? - Dec 16, 2010
- Waldorf-Astoria Sued By Plymouth Couple Over Bedbugs - Nov 05, 2010
- Bill Clinton goofs up on remark about golf hottie Annika Sorenstam - Sep 29, 2010
- Who wouldn't want Mauritius trip: Cherie Blair at poverty meet - Sep 24, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey to honor best friend at award show - Jan 30, 2010
- Outrage over Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame commences - Oct 01, 2010
- Berlusconi 'calls sex trial girl an over imaginative liar' - Apr 15, 2011
- Angelina Jolie, Lady Gaga had an affair? - Feb 02, 2010
- Paris Hilton Manages to Escape Jail Time With 1 Year Suspended Sentence - Sep 20, 2010
- Berlusconi offered me bribe to alter belly dancer's birth certificate: Moroccan official - Mar 11, 2011
- Teenage belly dancer 'claims Berlusconi knew her real age' - Feb 17, 2011
- Italian model says Ruby offered him 4,000 euros for sex - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, court documents, daily mail, discrimination lawsuits, edgar, employment opportunity commission, equal employment opportunity, equal employment opportunity commission, hostile work environment, hotel management, islamic identity, mohamed, moroccan, name badge, name tag, new york hotel, new york post, racial discrimination, waiter, waldorf astoria hotel