Muslim TV stations remove controversial show on JesusAugust 14th, 2010 - 1:43 pm ICT by ANI
Beirut, Aug.14 (ANI): Two Shiite Muslim television stations in Lebanon have cancelled a controversial programme on Jesus Christ, as they do not want to stir up a sectarian conflict in the country.
The 17-episode series, which was produced in Iran, describes Jesus from an Islamic point of view. Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet and a teacher, but not the son of God, The Scotsman reports.
Al-Manar, a television station run by Lebanon’s powerful militant group, Hezbollah, and the National Broadcasting Network, NBN, started airing the programme this week at the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Christian priests and politicians quickly protested, saying the topic might endanger national co-existence.
The programme does not show respect to “Jesus, the church and Christianity,” Catholic Maronite Archbishop Bechara el-Rai said.
Shortly before he spoke, , Al-Manar and NBN issued a statement saying the stations decided to stop airing it in respect to other Lebanese sects. (ANI)
- Christian bishop asks Hezbollah not to air Jesus film - Aug 13, 2010
- TV series on Jesus banned in Lebanon after Christian anger (Lead) - Aug 13, 2010
- Model plane launched from Lebanon crashed into Israel - Aug 02, 2010
- Syrian TV denies intelligence chief's murder - Aug 27, 2012
- Hezbollah congratulates Egyptian people - Feb 12, 2011
- Two Lebanese soldiers killed in Israel-Lebanon clash (Lead) - Aug 03, 2010
- Lebanese militants fire missiles into Israel - Sep 11, 2009
- Hezbollah chief calls on Lebanon to build nuclear reactor - Aug 25, 2010
- Isreali army fires on Lebanese soldiers: Report - Sep 21, 2010
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Thousands attend funeral of Hezbollah leader - Jul 07, 2010
- Riots erupt in Lebanon after designation of Hezbollah's Mikati as PM - Jan 26, 2011
- Hezbollah says ready for another war with Israel - Nov 12, 2010
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: al manar, christian priests, hezbollah, islamic point, jesus christ, maronite archbishop, militant group, muslim holy, muslim television, national broadcasting network, national broadcasting network nbn, national co, ramadan, scotsman, sectarian conflict, sects, shiite muslim, son of god, television station, television stations