Muslim lawyer pledges to ‘cover Russia in blood’April 25th, 2012 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Police in the Russian capital said Wednesday they will examine a video in which a prominent Muslim lawyer pledges to “cover Russia in blood” if the authorities refuse to establish courts to implement Islamic law.
“May be you are foreigners here, and this is our home. We will set our rules, whether you want this or not,” Dagir Khasavov, a lawyer and aide to an upper house committee chairman, said in an interview with the REN TV channel.
“Any attempts to stop this will result in blood. We will turn the city (Moscow) into a second dead sea,” he was quoted as saying.
Russian Chief Mufti Talgat Tadzhuddin condemned Khasavov’s statement.
Geidar Dzhemal, head of an influential group called Islamic Committee, said there might have been a “misunderstanding”.
Sergei Mitrokhin, co-head of the liberal Yabloko party, wrote on Twitter that he would ask prosecutors to bring extremist charges against Khasavov.
Khasavov recently announced plans to establish an international Muslim union to be governed by a system of Shariat courts.
Orthodox Church spokesman Vsevolod Chaplin warned against “restricting the Islamic community in living by their own rules” but said it was unacceptable to “impose these rules on others outside your community”.
- Muslim woman sentenced in Russia over extremist article - Sep 13, 2012
- Russia's first Muslim TV channel goes on air - Aug 20, 2012
- Russian parliament approves heavy fines for protestors - Jun 05, 2012
- Imam demands Islamic crescent moon symbol on Russian emblem - May 01, 2011
- Tajikistan to release BBC reporter - Jul 14, 2011
- Russia warns citizens not to travel to Syria - Jun 21, 2012
- Putin visits flood affected region - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia may block YouTube over anti-Islam video - Sep 18, 2012
- Woman gifts socks, mittens to Medvedev, Putin - Nov 17, 2011
- Three held for killing Russian Santa Claus - Jan 03, 2012
- Turkmenistan grants amnesty to 1,300 prisoners - Aug 13, 2012
- Russian faces jail for killing his rapist - May 11, 2012
- Russia to get first Muslim TV channel in August - Jul 25, 2012
- Over 50 percent Russians trust Putin, Medvedev - Feb 19, 2011
- Russian jailed for bombing that killed 19 - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: chaplin, city moscow, dead sea, extremist, house committee, influential group, islamic community, islamic law, mufti, orthodox church, pledges, ren tv channel, ria novosti, russian capital, sergei mitrokhin, shariat, twitter, upper house, vsevolod, yabloko