Muslim cleric shot dead in RussiaJune 14th, 2011 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Muslim cleric of a village mosque in Russia was found shot dead Tuesday morning, officials said.
Kurbanov, the imam of the mosque in Dagestan region was found with gunshot wounds early morning near the mosque, the interior ministry said.
The incident took place in Mikheyevka village.
Religious leaders have become frequent victims of militant violence in Russia’s North Caucasus region. Noted Russian Islamologist Roman Silantev said around 50 moderate clerics have been killed for opposing Wahhabism, a religious movement that advocates purging Islam of “impurities”.
- Nine held trying to take control of mosques - Sep 27, 2011
- Cop, two militants killed in Russia - Mar 18, 2012
- Child among three killed in Russian plane crash - Jul 22, 2012
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Russian suicide attacker dies as bomb explodes prematurely - Apr 11, 2011
- Three dead in North Caucasus blast - Sep 22, 2011
- Russian police kill five militants in Dagestan - Jun 16, 2010
- Man vandalises Siberian nursery school - Apr 09, 2012
- Russia needs university to teach about Islam: official - Dec 07, 2010
- Officers who killed Moscow Metro blasts' suspect to be rewarded - Aug 22, 2010
- Two police officers among 12 killed in Chechnya - Aug 29, 2010
- Terror plot targeting 2014 Sochi Olympics foiled - May 10, 2012
- Seven militants killed in Russia - Jul 15, 2012
- Hiddink slams UEFA ban for Anzhi home arena - Jul 13, 2012
- Two killed in Russia blasts - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: advocates, clerics, frequent victims, gunshot wounds, imam, impurities, interior ministry, islam, june 14, mosque, muslim cleric, north caucasus region, religious leaders, religious movement, ria novosti, russia moscow, tuesday morning, violence, vm