Music therapy ease pain in muscles, jointsMay 27th, 2011 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 27 (IANS) Music therapy combined with other relaxation techniques based on guided imagery, reduces pain, depression and anxiety and improves sleep in fibromyalgia, a condition that causes pain, stiffness, and tenderness of the muscles, tendons and joints.
It is characterised by restless sleep, chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression and disturbances in bowel function.
The experimental study, conducted by Maria Dolores Onieva Zafra at the Department of Nursery of the University of Granada, Spain, has shown that these two techniques enhance the well-being of fibromyalgia patients, the Pain Management Nursing journal reports.
Researchers applied a relaxation technique based on guided imagery and music therapy to patients, according to a Granada statement.
They were given a CD to listen at home. Then, researchers measured a number of variables associated with fribromyalgia symptoms, as pain intensity, quality of life and sleep disorders, among others.
The patients were given the chance to participate in their own treatment through an understanding of their condition.
The study confirms that the art of relaxation with guided imagery and receptive music therapy have proven effective in the alternative symptomatic treatment of this condition.
- Fibromyalgia linked to restless legs syndrome - Oct 16, 2010
- Yoga may have the power to fight fibromyalgia - Oct 14, 2010
- Tai Chi an alternative treatment for chronic pain condition - Aug 19, 2010
- Multipronged intervention effective in breast cancer survivors - Oct 02, 2010
- Magnetic pulse therapy may help treat depression: Study - May 10, 2012
- Depression drug may ease pain from breast cancer treatment: Study - Dec 12, 2010
- Depression drug may relieve pain from breast cancer treatment - Dec 13, 2010
- Nineteenth century therapy may help Parkinson's patients - Apr 23, 2012
- Music therapy to cure patients - Dec 14, 2011
- Guidelines to ease insomnia and other sleep disorders - Sep 02, 2010
- Hypnosis effective in treating irritable bowels - Apr 03, 2012
- Yoga relieves body ache - Oct 17, 2010
- New Therapy can ease irritable bowels - Jul 19, 2011
- Being anxious affects our attention to what happens around us - Jun 11, 2010
- Yoga benefits childhood cancer patients and their parents - Oct 10, 2010
Tags: art of relaxation, bowel function, chronic fatigue, experimental study, fibromyalgia, fibromyalgia patients, granada spain, guided imagery, maria dolores, muscles tendons, music therapy, nursing journal, pain intensity, relaxation technique, relaxation techniques, restless sleep, sleep disorders, symptomatic treatment, university of granada, zafra