Musharraf’s election ‘a perversion of democracy’: NYTNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:57 am ICT by admin
The vote was not really a vote since, knowing how badly the deck was stacked, the opposition parties refused to participate. The Supreme Court, which must decide whether General Musharraf was even eligible to run while still in uniform must now certify the results, the NYT said.
The editorial titled “General Musharraf’s Cynical Win”, the NYT stressed “rather than encouraging such cynical deal-making, Bush should have encouraged a more-inclusive election process true to his democratic principles and true to what so many Pakistanis want.”
“Under the deal, the flawed former Prime Minister and leader of Pakistan’s most popular party gets to return home, escape prosecution on corruption charges and - if all goes according to plan - stand for another term,” the Dawn quoted the NYT, as saying.
he editorial said that restoration of democracy in Pakistan has been a declared goal of the US since Musharraf seized power in 1999, and expressed concern that “time and again he has promised to give up his uniform, but even now he is playing cute about when - and whether - that might happen.”
“Almost all of the time, President Bush has acquiesced in Musharraf’s many misdeeds - and provided billions in American aid - as payment for the General’s service in the war on terror, the editorial said.
There, too, the General has delivered a lot less than promised, and the Taliban and al Qaeda are resurgent along Pakistan’s border, it added. (ANI)
- Pakistani daily upset at attempt to muzzle media - Feb 26, 2012
- Don't put yourself in the line of fire, Daily tells Musharraf - Apr 19, 2011
- Post bin Laden death, keeping a straight face about Pak will be difficult for US, others - May 03, 2011
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- Musharraf and his men behind Bhutto killing: Pakistani scribe - Feb 17, 2011
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Musharraf must be brought back and tried in Benazir assassination case: Pak editorial - Apr 20, 2010
- Cash-for-votes: Advani taunts government to jail him - Sep 08, 2011
- Scrap polls if no women votes: Pakistani daily - Feb 29, 2012
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Pakistan unlikely to give Musharraf second chance to rule: Editorial - Jun 11, 2010
- Musharraf the 'murderer' of Benazir Bhutto: PPP Secy Gen - Oct 06, 2010
- Pakistani PM on suicidal warpath, says daily - Jan 18, 2012
- Keep away from Pakistan, daily tells Musharraf (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: according to plan, acquiesced, bhutto, billions, corruption charges, cynical, declared goal, democracy, democratic principles, former prime minister, general musharraf, new york times, new york times nyt, opposition parties, pakistan, perversion, president bush, prosecution, time president, war on terror