Musharraf’s decision to impose emergency “deeply troubling”: US lawmakerNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
Lowey said Congress and the State Department should review all forms of relevant economic and military aid, from which Pakistan currently benefits, in order to ensure that taxpayers’ money is advancing American interests in the region.
“I urge Musharraf to cease this crackdown, release the political prisoners, repeal the state of emergency, and proceed with parliamentary elections without delay,” she added.
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, co-chair of the Congressional Pakistan Caucus has called on Congress to encourage Pakistan to continue forward with its highly anticipated elections in mid-January, despite Musharraf’s declaration of the emergency.
Even though the Pakistan Government remains in critical condition, Congress must encourage the people of Pakistan not to allow violence, intimidation or fear to stop the democratic process from going forward,” Jackson said.
The Pakistan Government must take steps to ensure that the election, scheduled for mid-January, proceeds as planned, she said.
“The US considers Pakistan a great ally in the war on terror. It is critical to understand that political instability in Pakistan greatly affects our national security in the US,” the Daily Times quoted Jackson, as saying. (ANI)
- 4.2 billion dollar worth 'blizzard of banknotes' have flown out of Kabul since 2007 - Jul 06, 2010
- Top US lawmaker says Pak faces cut in aid unless it drastically increases tax rates - Feb 10, 2011
- Putin's poll office to cooperate with election monitors - Feb 03, 2012
- US House resolution for tracking hate crimes against Sikhs - Aug 15, 2012
- Obama names two more Indian-Americans to key posts - Mar 30, 2011
- Polls estimate Obama's approval among Americans at 50 percent - Mar 16, 2011
- Shed factionalism, prepare for future battles: Sonia to Congressmen (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Hispanic community important partner for India-US ties: Ambassador - Mar 22, 2012
- Poll results disappointing, shed factionalism: Sonia (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Michelle Bachmann suspends campaign - Jan 04, 2012
- Jessica Alba campaigns for education for all - Apr 22, 2010
- Will assembly polls lead to early Lok Sabha ballot? - Jan 01, 2012
- House Democrats re-elect Pelosi as their leader; Republicans elect Cantor - Nov 18, 2010
- US Congress members back Sri Lanka - Apr 19, 2011
- No mid-term polls, Congress says - May 12, 2012
Tags: american interests, civilian rule, congress, going forward, highly anticipated, lee co, lowey, military aid, musharraf, opposition leaders, pakistan government, parliamentary elections, political instability, political prisoners, sheila jackson lee, state of emergency, urge, us lawmaker, violent suppression, war on terror