Musharraf’s appeasement of US responsible for killings in Waziristan: BegNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:58 am ICT by admin
The casualties of the military personnel were much higher than being admitted officially, he added.
General Beg proposed that accepting its defeat at the hands of the militants the government should withdraw troops from the tribal areas and hold talks with the tribesmen to restore peace to the area.
In case this was not done, he said, the situation would worsen with the passage of time and finding a solution would become more difficult.
General Beg predicted that in the days ahead the conflict could spread to Miram Shah, Para Chinar, Kohat and other adjoining areas.
He warned that the army would not be able to defeat the people who could not be defeated in the past even by the US, Russia and troops of other countries.
Asked how many people were fighting the Pakistan Army, General Beg said all tribal people of the area were involved in the situation.
He believed that they would not stop fighting unless their demands were met.
General Beg said that it was regrettable that every now and then the Pakistan Army had to kill its own people to show the US afresh that it was determined to eliminate the militants.
He said at present the Mirali cantonment was under tremendous pressure, and the troops were not willing to fight.
In his assessment the re-election of Musharraf would escalate the fighting going on in the tribal areas, the Dawn reported. (ANI)
- Chinar Corps celebrates 96th raising day - Jan 12, 2012
- Pak Taliban releases 23 tribesmen it abducted for meeting army chief - Jan 01, 2011
- Pakistan Army to compensate families of airstrike victims - Apr 22, 2010
- Twin blasts rock Pakistan's tribal area - Jan 29, 2011
- Huge Pakistan rally demands halt to US drone strikes - Oct 28, 2011
- US to supply 85 drones to Pakistan - Apr 22, 2011
- Kayani 'happy' with Army tribal region operations despite 'damning' US report - Apr 09, 2011
- 12 militants killed in Pakistan - Jan 28, 2012
- Pak says 'damning' White House report on terror 'misinterpreting ground situation' - Apr 07, 2011
- Eight die in suicide bombing in Pakistan tunnel (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- Five blasts rock Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban hold peace talks - Nov 23, 2011
- Pakistani tribesmen praised for assisting army - Feb 25, 2012
- Would-be suicide bomber's confession alarming: Pakistani daily - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: appeasement, army general, backer, become more difficult, cantonment, escalate, kohat, militants, military personnel, miram shah, musharraf, pakistan army, passage of time, stop fighting, tribal areas, war on terror, waziristan, willing to fight