Musharraf trapped, walled in from all sides: Aitzaz AhsanNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:56 am ICT by admin
Addressing lawyers here, he said that Musharraf, as Army Chief, could not Constitutionally hold any other office.
Even if Parliament permitted him to hold another office, Articles 243, 244 and 245 of the Constitution still did not permit the Chief of Army Staff to take part in politics or hold another office, Ahsan added.
He strongly condemned Musharraf’s move of announcing that he would relinquish his military uniform after being elected President.
Ahsan argued that in this way a non-Muslim could also contest elections by promising that he would embrace Islam if elected President.
“If the Supreme Court gives a verdict in favour of Musharraf, we will lock the Supreme Court building,” said Pakistan Bar Council member Ali Ahmed Kurd.
Kurd said lawyers were the greatest power in the country, and would not rest till Musharraf was ousted.
Kurd urged lawyers to carry padlocks in their pockets as symbols of resistance, the Daily Times reported. (ANI)
- Gilani pays lawyer for service - May 01, 2012
- PM Gilani has committed contempt, rules court (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Gilani's appeal in contempt case rejected by apex court - Feb 10, 2012
- Gilani has committed contempt, rules court (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
- Zardari has immunity: Pakistani PM's lawyer - Jan 18, 2012
- Pakistani PM himself drove to the apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Gilani, in Supreme Court, backs Zardari (Evening Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- `Gilani has accepted majesty of law' - Jan 19, 2012
- Zardari has immunuity as president, Gilani tells Supreme Court (Night Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Can't write letter against Zardari: Gilani's counsel to court - Mar 21, 2012
- No contempt proceedings if president has immunity: Pakistani court - Feb 01, 2012
- Have always respected court: Gilani - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistan attorney general turns abusive in Supreme Court - Jun 15, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: ahmed, ahsan, army chief, army staff, chief of army, contest elections, council member, elected president, favour, kurd, military uniform, musharraf, ousted, padlocks, presidential candidate, said lawyers, supreme court, verdict