Musharraf may impose martial law to retain grip on power: NYTNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:20 am ICT by admin
“What they are saying is that this would put in jeopardy all kinds of assistance and support. It would be just very difficult to support this government,” the report quotes a Western diplomat, as saying.
The NYT cites reports that the Musharraf regime has drafted an order to impose a state of emergency. While the details of the order have not been released, it could increase Musharraf’s powers and delay nation-wide elections due in January.
Admiral William Fallon, the US Central Command (Centcom) chief, arrived in Islamabad on Thursday night for a meeting with the General to discuss rising militant attacks in the country, the report notes.
“For the last few months several senior American officials have visited or telephoned Musharraf, and urged him not to impose emergency rule.
In August, US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called him at 2 a.m. and pressed him not to declare emergency rule,” the NYT recalls.
On Friday, Rice said the US opposed any move by Musharraf to impose martial law and Pakistan must proceed with elections next year.
Rice urged Musharraf to go ahead with the elections as planned for January.
“I am not going to get into the details of our conversations, but I think it would be quite obvious that the US would not be supportive of extra-constitutional means,” she said. (ANI)
- US works on software to manipulate social media websites - Mar 18, 2011
- Rehman Malik backs ruling PPP to complete five-year term - Nov 03, 2010
- Musharraf reiterates he'll return to Pakistan before elections - Apr 16, 2011
- US feared UK backed "sharia banks" could become centre of terrorist funding: Wikileaks - Mar 15, 2011
- Paul Ryan accepts Republican vice presidential nomination - Aug 30, 2012
- British officials described Zardari as "highly corrupt", "numbskull": WikiLeaks - Feb 06, 2011
- Rumsfeld unapologetic about US going to war against Iraq - Feb 03, 2011
- WikiLeaks: Zardari, Kayani worked for Musharraf's 'honourable exit' - Dec 08, 2010
- US top court upholds Obama's signature healthcare law - Jun 28, 2012
- 200,000 Facebook fans want me to return to Pakistan: Musharraf - May 09, 2010
- Karzai left increasingly isolated post new Parliament polls - Jan 27, 2011
- L'Affaire Assange: Lessons from Latin America (Comment) - Sep 03, 2012
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- US may dump Pak for 'safer' Russian route for NATO supplies to Afghanistan - Oct 06, 2010
- Ties with Israel can bring India-Pakistan closer: Musharraf - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: admiral william, american officials, centcom, diplomats, elections, emergency rule, fallon, islamabad, jeopardy, martial law, militant attacks, musharraf regime, nation wide, nyt, state condoleezza rice, state of emergency, us secretary of state, western diplomat