Musharraf imposes emergency in Pakistan(First lead: Pak emergeny)November 14th, 2007 - 8:22 am ICT by admin
Musharraf, who is expected to address the nation tonight, earlier attended a high level meeting with his top aides where the decision to impose emergency was taken up.
The imposition comes amidst growing rise of extremists and militants in the country, particularly in its tribal region, and the political turmoil gripping the country.
The Supreme Court was expected to deliver its verdict on the validity of Musharraf’s presidential candidature in the October 6 presidential polls.
Many analysts had predicted that fear of an unfavourable verdict from the apex court might trigger Musharraf to declare emergency, a decision not finding favour from the US. (ANI)
- Emergency in Pakistan: News channels, phones go off(Second lead: Pak emergency) - Nov 14, 2007
- Egypt Supreme Court calls for parliament's dissolution - Jun 14, 2012
- Iftikhar Chaudhry returns Sunday as Pakistan's chief justice - Mar 21, 2009
- Speculation on Pranab's candidature grows after Bengal leader's pitch (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Zardari to abide by Supreme Court's verdict against Musharraf - Jul 23, 2009
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Congress hails Kalam's decision, seeks Mamata's support - Jun 18, 2012
- Pak SC approached to 'hang' Musharraf for subversion of Constitution - Jan 21, 2011
- Pak Supreme Court summons Musharraf - Jul 22, 2009
- Nov 3, 2007 turning point for Pakistan's judiciary: Chief Justice - Feb 07, 2011
- Chaos in Colombo court after ex-army chief gets new jail term - Nov 19, 2011
- Stamping out corruption main task: Iftikhar Chaudhry - Mar 24, 2009
- Musharraf to return to Pakistan in January - Dec 19, 2011
- Supreme Court summons Musharraf on emergency, judges' sacking (Lead) - Jul 22, 2009
- 'Sleepless nights for Zardari, Musharraf' - Mar 19, 2009