Musharraf, Benazir vow to fight extremism and terrorismNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:33 am ICT by admin
The telephonic contact was made by Musharraf to condole and strongly condemn the act of terrorism in Karachi that killed over 139 people.
“Musharraf expressed his shock and profound grief over the incident and prayed for the safety and security of Bhutto,” the Daily Times quoted the presidency, as saying.
Musharraf directed the law-enforcement agencies to submit their report within 48 hours.
Musharraf also expressed his resolve that all possible steps would be taken and a thorough investigation would be carried out to bring the perpetrators of the heinous crime to justice.
At least 139 people were killed and hundreds injured late on Thursday night as suspected suicide bombers tried to attack Bhutto’s convoy on her return to the country after eight-year self-imposed exile.
Two explosions went off a minute apart shortly after midnight near Karsaz close to the vehicle Bhutto was travelling in, at the head of a procession of hundreds of thousands of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) supporters who had flooded the streets of Karachi to welcome her.
The attack reportedly bore the hallmarks of al Qaeda and resembled assassination attempts by militants linked to the terrorist network on President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz in recent years. (ANI)
- Musharraf to return home Jan 25 or 27 - Jan 06, 2012
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- Pakistan court seeks Musharraf for Bugti killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- LHC seeks Pak govt's reply on petition seeking Musharraf's trial for high treason - Nov 27, 2010
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf - Feb 12, 2011
- Hearing of Musharraf's extradition, trial pleas put off until February 24 - Feb 09, 2011
- Musharraf named as accused in Bhutto's assassination case - Feb 07, 2011
- Musharraf included in Benazir murder investigation - Nov 23, 2010
- India to reopen consulate in Karachi - Mar 14, 2012
- Musharraf is now an accused in Benazir killing - Feb 07, 2011
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
Tags: assassination attempts, benazir, bhutto, contact, extremism, hallmarks, heinous crime, karachi, perpetrators, president pervez musharraf, procession, profound grief, safety and security, self imposed, shaukat aziz, telephonic conversation, terrorism, terrorist network