Murder case in Italy solved after 35 yearsJanuary 19th, 2011 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 19 (IANS/AKI) A convicted criminal has confessed to killing an elderly woman in the central Sicilian town of Piazza Armerina - 35 years after she was found beaten and strangled to death in her apartment.”I’m the monster who killed that poor woman. I haven’t been able to forget how she clenched a crucifix in her hand as I throttled her,” 57-year-old Aldo Consoli told police.
Consoli was referring to the murder of his 83-year-old neighbour Irene Salanitro Aug 27, 1975 when he burgled her apartment.
Police said it was the fact that Consoli knew Salanitro had died with her rosary beads in her hand - information that her killer alone could have possessed - that gave investigators “significant indications of his guilt”.
Police found jewellery and other valuables to have been stolen from Salanitro’s apartment, and suspected Consoli, then a young man of 21, but lacked sufficent proof to convict him of the pensioner’s murder.
Prosecutors delivered an arrest warrant for Salanitro’s murder to Consoli in prison, where he is currently serving a jail term of 18 years and nine months for ordering the murder of another felon.
Nicknamed ‘the scientist’, Consoli was arrested in 2009 on suspicion of ordering the murder of Giuseppe Avvenia. He was tried and found guilty.
Consoli confessed to murdering Salanitro during questioning after police re-opened the investigation into her murder, one of several unsolved ‘cold cases’ which have been reopened.
- Top Italian mafia fugitive managed affairs online: Police - Jun 26, 2010
- Italy appeals to court to overturn crucifix ban - Jun 30, 2010
- Man held in Italy for beating wife for removing veil - Aug 17, 2012
- Man to be tried 18 years after daughter's suicide - Nov 25, 2010
- Italian mafia boss held in Venezuela - Aug 29, 2012
- Italian kills wife for being 'too beautiful' - Jul 03, 2012
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Italian MP wants international probe into Shahzad's murder - Jun 16, 2011
- Iranian 'adultress' to be executed Wednesday - Nov 02, 2010
- Italian dies after wife stabs him in genitals - May 16, 2012
- Teenagers die after stolen car plunges into sea - Aug 15, 2012
- Italian magistrate arrested in mafia crackdown - Nov 30, 2011
- Movie on migrants Italy's Oscar candidate - Sep 28, 2011
- 2,000 years old Venus had red lips, golden hair - Mar 02, 2012
- Italian mafia 'pastry extortion ring' busted - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: aldo, arrest warrant, consoli, crucifix, elderly woman, felon, giuseppe, jail term, jan 19, murder case, murder one, neighbour, nine months, pensioner, piazza armerina, poor woman, prosecutors, rosary beads, unsolved cold cases, valuables