Murder accused held after 20 years on the runSeptember 28th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A former Russian arm wrestling world champion accused of murder has been arrested after more than 20 years on the run, police said Wednesday.
Jambul Vibliani, 41, who was expelled to Russia from the US after his visa expired, was detained at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport, the interior ministry said.
Police seized a Russian passport from Vibliani, which identified him as Roman Tsindeliani.
Vibliani, who won the arm wrestling world champion title 12 times, is suspected of a murder carried out in the Georgian capital of Tbilisi in 1990. Investigators believe the athlete attacked his victim with a knife following a brawl.
He is also suspected of being involved in a robbery and murder in April 1999.
- Russian faces jail for killing his rapist - May 11, 2012
- Champion Russian wrestler dies of heart attack at 35 - Sep 13, 2012
- Russia warns citizens not to travel to Syria - Jun 21, 2012
- Two Iranian suspects in Bangkok blast released - Feb 28, 2012
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia ready to restore diplomatic ties with Georgia - Mar 03, 2012
- Russian cop beats lover to death - Apr 25, 2012
- Russian jailed for bombing that killed 19 - Apr 27, 2012
- Sex doll river race banned in Russia - Aug 20, 2012
- Russian officer commits suicide on n-submarine - Feb 13, 2012
- Russia's first Muslim TV channel goes on air - Aug 20, 2012
- Russia world's most educated country: Report - Sep 12, 2012
- Russia's women's volleyball coach dies - Aug 29, 2012
- Cannibal arrested in Russia - Mar 26, 2012
- Russian teenager attempts 'bank robbery' for suicide - Sep 07, 2012