Mumbai to host medical students’ global meetAugust 7th, 2012 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 7 (IANS) An international panel of medics will host its 61st general assembly in Mumbai Aug 9, to be attended by 1,000 delegates from across 114 countries, officials said.
This will be the International Federation of Medical Students Association’s (IFMSA) first general assembly meet in India, the official said, describing it as one of the largest international medical students meets.
“India is a perfect place for a discussion on universal health care as the country now experiences a gradual transition towards provision of easily accessible and affordable health care to all Indians by 2020,” said IFMSA general secretary Esha Gupta.
Maharashtra’s Health Minister Suresh Shetty, former union minister of state for external affairs Shashi Tharoor, vice chancellors of many medical universities, and others will mark their presence at the event.
The theme general assembly is based on India’s Vision of 2020 ‘Universal Health Care - The Time is Now’.
IFMSA India, which was earlier Medical Students’ Association of India (MSAI), was fully adopted into the panel as IFMSA-India in March this year.
Speaking about the agenda for meet, Sushmitha Kothapallii, vice president, International Affairs of IFMSA, said that they look forward to an aggressive discussion and passing of motions which will bring a positive change in the healthcare scenario in India and world.
IFMSA is also organising a workshop prior to the meet, where delegates from 20 countries will visit the slums of Mumbai and prepare a report understanding the healthcare model.
IFMSA-India is a medical student organisation involving more than 5,000 students from over 100 different medical colleges.
- 'India faces 50 percent nursing shortage' - Mar 29, 2012
- Indian healthcare industry poised for rapid growth - Aug 05, 2011
- Saudi youth explore India's IT, education space - Mar 29, 2012
- Government for alternative medicines like unani - Feb 03, 2011
- India should collaborate more with US in healthcare: Prathap Reddy - Jul 25, 2012
- Azad to inaugurate international conference on 'Community Mental Health' - Feb 15, 2011
- India business delegation visits South America - Jul 06, 2012
- Indian varsities fuel Mauritius' 'knowledge hub' dream - Feb 17, 2011
- WHO praises Cuba's health care system - Mar 28, 2012
- Saudi youth get a feel of India's software power - Mar 28, 2012
- Mumbai to host Global Pulses Conclave - Feb 08, 2012
- India, US to share healthcare models with Ethiopia - Feb 23, 2012
- Upgrade to avert AMRI like incidents, private hospitals told - Dec 23, 2011
- ICT be used for better healthcare: Pitroda - Aug 29, 2012
- US-based group launches hospital ranking service in India - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: affordable health care, external affairs, general secretary, health minister, healthcare model, international federation, international medical students, medical colleges, medical students association, medical universities, medics, minister of state, msai, s vision, slums, student organisation, union minister, universal health care, vice chancellors, vice president international