Mumbai terror attack: top floor of Hotel Taj on fireNovember 27th, 2008 - 2:44 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 27 (IANS) The top floor of the world-famous Hotel Taj Intercontinental in Mumbai caught fire after a bomb explosion as terroists struck at seven locations in the metropolis late Wednesday night.The 22-storey, five-star hotel by the Arabian Sea was one of the targets of the terrorist attack. An explosion on the top floor soon engulfed the top floor of the hotel in fire.
Fire tenders were rushed to the spot, officials said.
Earlier in the night, terrorists opened fire at police and paramilitary forces outside the Taj Hotel between 10.15 p.m. and 10.30 p.m., police officials said.
The officials, who refused to speak on record, said the terrorists fired indiscrimantely near the five-star hotel where around 2,000 guests and staff were stranded.
The body of a foreign woman guest was recovered from the Taj Hotel and two terrorists were holed up inside the building, a police official said.
At least 90 percent portion of the building was plunged into darkness as authorities cut off power in a precautionary measure.
- 76 dead in Mumbai attacks, situation grave: Deshmukh - Nov 27, 2008
- 21 killed in nightmare Kabul hotel attack - Jun 30, 2011
- Terror strikes Mumbai again, 80 killed - Nov 27, 2008
- Fire at Lucknow hotel, no casualties - Mar 05, 2012
- Chronology of Mumbai terror attack - Nov 29, 2008
- Mantralaya fire toll rises to five (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Mantralaya fire continues second day - Jun 22, 2012
- Nine killed in South Korean fire - May 06, 2012
- 14 rescued from Mumbai building fire (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Fire damages British-era building in Assam - Jun 10, 2012
- 19 killed in Karachi suicide blast (Third Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- 12 policemen injured in Mumbai firing - Nov 27, 2008
- Fire in central Delhi building, no casualty (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Fire in central Delhi building (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Most Mumbai targets were foreigners' favourite hangouts - Nov 27, 2008