Mumbai firm to develop SEZ near Omani portMay 21st, 2008 - 3:34 pm ICT by admin
Dubai, May 21 (IANS) Mumbai-based infrastructure development company SKIL has been signed to develop a special economic zone (SEZ) near the port of Sohar in Oman. An agreement to this effect was signed recently by the government of Oman, the Port of Rotterdam in the Netherlands and SKIL, according to a press release issued by the Sohar Industrial Port Company (SIPC).
The new SEZ will be situated adjacent to the port of Sohar, 240 km northwest of the Omani capital Muscat.
According to the release, Oman’s Minister for Commerce and Industry Maqbool bin Ali bin Sultan, Port of Rotterdam Chief Executive Hans Smits and other shareholders of SIPC were present at the signing ceremony.
“This close proximity has considerable logistic advantages and also provides quality infrastructure services making the investments even more competitive,” the release stated.
The Oman government and the Port of Rotterdam had signed an agreement in 2007 to expand the Sohar port area from 2,000 hectares to 6,300 hectares to include the 4,300-hectare SEZ.
SKIL (formerly Sea King Infrastructure Ltd) has been involved in infrastructure development work in India since the early 1990s.
The new SEZ is also expected to create employment for people living in the Batinah region where Sohar is located and enhance foreign direct investment in the Port of Sohar area.
It is also expected to shift the area’s economic dependence to the non-energy sector.
The SEZ of Sohar is expected to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2008.
- Oman releases details of new special economic zone - Jan 17, 2009
- Oman Oil to invest $3 bn in Indian fertilizer plants - Sep 06, 2010
- Maharashtra axes four SEZs after local opposition - Jul 31, 2012
- Narendra Modi may lead business delegation to Oman - Sep 04, 2009
- Immense opportunities for Indian companies in Oman: Business body chief - Jan 24, 2011
- Iran, Oman commanders discuss military cooperation - May 12, 2012
- India, Oman to boost economic, energy ties - Oct 19, 2010
- Six killed in Oman, protests continue - Feb 28, 2011
- Bilateral fund should invest in Indian infrastructure projects: Oman - Oct 20, 2010
- CCCL and Tidco to promote food processing SEZ - Jul 16, 2010
- Geojit BNP Paribas forms joint venture in Oman - Sep 21, 2011
- We can't change our anti-SEZ stand: Mamata - Apr 27, 2012
- Abu Dhabi, Oman oil companies sign finance deal - Apr 21, 2011
- Assocham for tax sops to promote SEZs - Apr 22, 2012
- India, Bahrain sign tax, IT pacts - May 31, 2012
Tags: close proximity, economic dependence, energy sector, foreign direct investment, government of oman, infrastructure development, infrastructure ltd, infrastructure services, maqbool, oman government, omsigning ceremony, port of rotterdam, port of sohar, quality infrastructure, sea king, skil, smits, sohar port, special economic zone