Mumbai court reserves order on Dutt, Manyata applicationMay 21st, 2008 - 6:20 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, May 21 (ANI): Mumbai Additional Sessions Court Judge S N Sardesai today reserved his order on an application filed by Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt and his wife Manyata till May 28.
The couple had challenged the allegation of bigamy by Manyata’s first husband Meraj Rehman, contending that they had not committed an offence as there was no material to prove the validity of their marriage under law.
The couple said their reported marriage in Goa stands null and void, and added that it was necessary to prove the validity of their marriage to declare them guilty.
The Sessions Court had earlier admitted the application and stayed proceedings issued by the Bandra Court against Dutt and Manyata, and called for records pertaining to the case.
“We have submitted before the Court, three notices sent to Mehraj by the Qazi informing him about his divorce with Manyata,” Advocate Rizwan Merchant said.
Mehraj’s lawyer Tasleem Khan, however, argued before the court on Wednesday that the Qazi, who divorced Manyata and Mehraj is a fraud and thus the divorce was not legal. (ANI)