Mumbai born US naval commander dies suddenlyNovember 11th, 2011 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 11 (IANS) Capt. Tushar Tembe, India-born commander of America’s 100,000-ton nuclear powered aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman, has died suddenly.
Tembe, 49, collapsed at about 10 a.m. Tuesday as he was leaving the ship he had commanded for the past three months as it was undergoing maintenance at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Virginia, according to a Navy release Thursday.
He was taken to the Bons Secours Maryview Medical Centre where he was later pronounced dead, the release stated. A cause of death has not yet been determined.
A naval aviator, Tembe took command of the Truman this summer, according to the Navy. He flew a variety of aircraft during his career, including the F/A-18 Hornet.
A graduate of Texas Tech University, Tembe who was born in Mumbai came to the United States as a child.
Tembe is survived by his wife and two sons. Plans for a memorial service and funeral arrangements have not been finalised.
“Capt. Tembe served the Navy and our nation honourably and with great distinction,” Rear Adm. Ted Branch, Naval Air Force Atlantic commander, said in a statement.
- US troops in Iraq shown raunchy videos - Jan 03, 2011
- Tailhook Scandal: Captain Owen Honors Sacked - Jan 05, 2011
- Seven injured as US n-submarine catches fire - May 25, 2012
- U.S. sailor goes missing in the Gulf of Oman - Jan 19, 2011
- US deployed three aircraft carriers to support Operation Geronimo - May 11, 2011
- MLD test gets US Navy one step closer to lasers for ship self-defense - Apr 09, 2011
- Glenn Close calls US Navy officer's use of her image deeply offensive - Jan 05, 2011
- Defence shipyards lose out to private players: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- U.S. Naval Forces press release on the rescue of Richard Phillips - Apr 13, 2009
- 'Aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov shaping up for sea trials' - Jul 20, 2011
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- India natural leader of Indian Ocean region: Antony - May 08, 2012
- Indian Navy to focus on manpower, operational assets - Oct 14, 2011
- USS Enterprise Video Creates Controversy - Jan 03, 2011
- Former Indian Navy chief Adm. Dawson dies - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: adm, aircraft carrier uss, bons secours, capt, cause of death, distinction, funeral arrangements, harry s truman, hornet, medical centre, naval aviator, naval commander, navy, norfolk naval shipyard, rear adm, tembe, texas tech university, three months, tushar, uss harry s truman