Multiple suicide bombers kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead)April 1st, 2009 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 1 (DPA) Four militants outfitted with explosives and automatic rifles attacked a provincial council office in southern Afghanistan Wednesday, killing seven civilians and three police officers, an interior ministry spokesman said.
One attacker detonated an explosives-laden vehicle in front of the office in Kandahar, the capital of Kandahar province, killing a police officer guarding the compound, ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary said.
The remaining three attackers, wearing explosives-filled suicide vests, entered the building and opened fire on civilians, killing seven people, he said, adding that police then arrived at the scene and engaged the attackers.
“Two of the bombers were shot dead by our police forces before they could detonate their explosives, but the third bomber detonated himself and the blast only killed the bomber,” Bashary said.
The ministry later said two more police officers were also killed but did not say whether they were shot by the militants or died in the explosions.
Sixteen other people, including police and civilians, were wounded, said Abdullah Fahim, a spokesman for public health ministry.
Members of the provincial council were holding a meeting with local elders when the attack took place, but Bashary said there were no casualties among the local lawmakers.
President Hamid Karzai’s younger brother, Ahmad Wali Karzai, is the head of the Kandahar provincial council, but officials could not confirm if he was inside the compound when the attack took place.
Meanwhile, Afghan forces backed by international troops killed 30 suspected Taliban militants, including a local commander, in neighbouring Helmand province, an interior ministry statement said.
Afghan police and NATO-led troops targeted the militants Tuesday in several villages of the Kajaki district, leaving 20 militants wounded, the statement said.
- Multiple suicide bombers kill eight in Afghanistan - Apr 01, 2009
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's aide shot dead in attack - Jul 18, 2011
- Ten troops killed in bloody day for ISAF in Afghanistan - Jun 08, 2010
- 23 suicide attackers killed, four held in Afghanistan - May 08, 2011
- Over 30 killed in serial suicide attacks in Afghanistan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Eight Taliban bombers attack Afghan government buildings - May 05, 2010
- 16 killed in attack on Afghan governor's office - Aug 14, 2011
- Afghan deputy spy chief, 21 others killed in suicide attack (Second Lead) - Sep 02, 2009
- Afghan president's advisor survives attack - Aug 04, 2010
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- 23 militants killed in Kandahar - May 08, 2011
- Three killed Afghanistan mine blast - Dec 23, 2011
- Taliban attacks kill 35 in Kandahar (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Suicide bomber attacks Afghan wedding, kills 40 civilians (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- Taliban suicide bombers attack Afghan town - May 12, 2009
Tags: ahmad wali, attacker, automatic rifles, explosives, hamid karzai, health ministry, interior ministry, international troops, kandahar province, militants, ministry members, ministry spokesman, ministry statement, police forces, police officers, president hamid karzai, provincial council, southern afghanistan, suicide bombers, three attackers