Multiple blasts rock hydropower project in MyanmarApril 17th, 2010 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, April 17 (DPA) Several bombs exploded Saturday at a hydropower project in northern Myanmar, but no deaths were reported, officials said.
At least three blasts were reported at the Asia World Construction hydropower site in Myitkyina, northern Kachin state, “but no serious casualties reported so far,” an official who requested anonymity said.
“Several bombs that had not yet exploded were also found at various places in the site,” one local witness said.
It was not immediately known how much damage was caused to the project, which has been opposed by local residents.
The dam is located at the junction of the May Kha and Malika rivers, which merge to form the Irrawaddy River in Kachin state. It is opposed by the state’s ethnic minority and by environmentalists.
The 4,100-mw hydropower plant is a joint project between the government, local developer Asia World Construction and the China Power Investment Cooperation. Construction began in 2009.
The military sealed off the area to investigate the explosions, which reportedly occurred near the workers’ quarters. Most of the labourers were away celebrating the traditional Myanmar New Year.
The incident followed three grenade explosions in Yangon that killed at least eight people and injured more than 170 Thursday.
Myanmar is scheduled to hold a general election this year, which has been been criticised by the main opposition party and many ethnic minority groups as being rigged to assure a favourable outcome for the military, which has ruled the country since 1962.
- Bomb blast kills 10 at Burmese orphanage - Nov 14, 2011
- Over 10,000 Kachin refugees flee Myanmar fighting - Jun 17, 2011
- Myanmar: An isolated nation opens up - May 26, 2012
- Series of bomb blasts hit hydropower plant project in Myanmar - Apr 17, 2010
- Myanmar President Thein Sein: Tough army man turned reformist - May 28, 2012
- 10 killed in Myanmar bomb blast - Nov 14, 2011
- China wants Myanmar to discuss joint hydro project - Oct 01, 2011
- Government forces, rebels clash in Myanmar's jade mining area - Aug 31, 2012
- Mine explosion hits Myanmar power grid - May 26, 2012
- Hague praises Myanmar reforms - Jan 06, 2012
- Ban ki-Moon urges Myanmar rebels to join peace process - May 19, 2012
- Why Myanmar president's visit to India matters - Oct 11, 2011
- Two trucks blown up on Myanmar border - May 22, 2012
- Myanmar to introduce e-visa system - Feb 01, 2012
- US special envoy visits Myanmar - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: asia world, blasts rock, china power, environmentalists, ethnic minority, explosions, favourable outcome, hydropower project, investment cooperation, irrawaddy river, kachin state, kha, labourers, main opposition party, malika, minority groups, multiple blasts, myanmar yangon, northern myanmar, world construction