Multiple blasts in Kabul, three killed (Third Lead)February 11th, 2009 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Feb 11 (IANS) Suicide bombers and Taliban gunmen stormed Afghanistan’s justice ministry and two other places in Kabul Wednesday, leaving at least three attackers dead, media reports said.Xinhua reported that the first explosion targeted a police vehicle in Khair Khana district north of Kabul. The second took place in downtown Kabul, according to a police official.
Four Taliban gunmen also entered the justice ministry, close to the Presidential Palace, causing “multiple casualties”, a Xinhua reporter at the site reported. Sporadic firing rang out.
A security official said three people, including a suicide bomber, were killed in the firefight inside the building.
One foreign national was taken out by British troops from the compound of the justice ministry. Ambulances ferried the injured to hospitals.
Some gunmen were still holed up in the building, which was immediately ringed by hundreds of security personnel.
Commandos entered the building in a bid to kill the terrorists, the media reports said.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Taliban’s purported spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told Xinhua from an undisclosed location that the militia had sent 16 suicide bombers to Kabul to target “government interests”.
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Seven killed in Afghan suicide blast (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Blasts rock Kabul, Taliban target US embassy - Sep 13, 2011
- Taliban strike Kabul, other Afghan targets (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- 21 killed in nightmare Kabul hotel attack - Jun 30, 2011
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- Pakistan condemns Kabul attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- 18 militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 18, 2011
- Taliban bombers give Kabul Baghdad treatment - Jan 18, 2010
- Taliban fire rockets at Kabul peace assembly (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- 12 die in attack on UN in Kabul, rockets fired at hotel (Third Lead) - Oct 28, 2009
- Taliban attack Afghan presidential palace, ministries - Jan 18, 2010
- Five policemen killed in Afghan blast - Sep 02, 2012
- Karzai advisor, lawmaker shot dead in Kabul (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: ambulances, british troops, commandos, firefight, first explosion, government interests, gunmen, justice ministry, kabul, khair khana, multiple blasts, police official, police vehicle, security official, security personnel, suicide bomber, suicide bombers, three attackers, undisclosed location, xinhua