Mudslide kills six in ColombiaSeptember 28th, 2011 - 11:28 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Sep 28 (IANS/EFE) A couple and their four children died when a mudslide buried their home in the northwestern province of Antioquia, Colombian authorities said.
The director of a disaster response agency, John Freddy Rendon, told Caracol Radio that the mudslide buried a house in Angostura.
He said that the dead included a man, his wife and their four children, ranging in age from 6 months to 11 years.
The family died before emergency personnel could pull them from the mud, Rendon said, adding that the bodies had all been recovered.
At the end of last month, the Colombian government announced a $30 million contingency plan to attend to emergencies caused by the downpours expected during the September-October rainy season.
The Andean country experienced one of the longest and most damaging rainy seasons in April and May 2010 that left more than 470 people dead and 3.4 million with some kind of property damage.
Colombia has two rainy seasons annually, the first from March/April to the middle of the year and the second in September and October, but over the past 12 months the rains have not let up for long.
- Woman accused of witchcraft slain in Colombia - Sep 05, 2012
- Four dead in Colombia mudslides - Nov 17, 2010
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Over 280 dead in Colombia rains - Dec 19, 2010
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombian journalist shot dead - Jul 02, 2011
- Colombian prosecutor gets 15 years for drug links - Mar 11, 2011
- 2 children die in Colombia landmine blast - Apr 20, 2011
- 20 missing in Colombia mudslide - Dec 24, 2010
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Massive landslide kills two, 145 missing in Columbia - Dec 06, 2010
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
- Eight miners rescued from gold mine in Colombia - Mar 29, 2010
- Colombian caught trying to board plane with grenade - Aug 22, 2012
- Woman gunned down in church in Colombia - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: 11 years, 12 months, 30 million, andean country, angostura, bogota, colombia, colombian authorities, colombian government, contingency plan, disaster response, emergencies, freddy, mud, northwestern province, radio, rainy season, rainy seasons, rendon, response agency