Mubarak’s supporters say he is a ’symbol who shouldn’t be humiliated’April 23rd, 2011 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
Cairo, Apr 23 (ANI): The supporters of ousted Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak have said that he is a ’symbol’ who had given his 30 years to keep the citizens safe, and therefore, should not be “humiliated” by letting him go through trials at the age of 83.
They instead said that Mubarak should be left in quiet retirement to spend the rest of his life, after prosecutors extended his detention for 15 more days, the Daily Mirror reports.
The prosecution’s decision to broaden the investigation has been welcomed by many in the country, but his supporters believe that he should be spared the ordeal based on his age.
“We can’t put an old man like that on trial. He kept us safe for 30 years,” The Washington Post quoted one of the pro-Mubarak citizens as saying while attending a rally that drew about 200 people along on Friday.
“Mubarak is a symbol who shouldn’t be humiliated,” another supporter said.
Mubarak and his sons, Gamal and Alaa, were detained earlier this month for questioning, the former president for his possible role in the deaths of protesters in January and February and all three for possible corruption during their decades in power.
Gamal and Alaa are in Tora prison on the outskirts of Cairo, along with several former cabinet ministers and other prominent members of Mubarak’s National Democratic Party.
Mubarak, who resigned February 11, was hospitalised on April 12 with heart trouble. (ANI)
- Mubarak found guilty of role in protesters' killings (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Mubarak to be transferred to Cairo for trial - Aug 03, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
- Ex-Egyptian president gets jail for life (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Spain to hand over Mubarak confidant - Oct 11, 2011
- Mubarak's daughters-in-law banned from leaving Egypt - Jun 17, 2011
- Mubarak to go on trial over protester shootings - May 25, 2011
- Mubarak, two sons detained for 15 days (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Mubarak trial demanded by protest victims' kin - Jun 25, 2011
- No live coverage of Mubarak trial from now on (Lead) - Aug 15, 2011
- Mubarak has second heart attack after being detained (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Mubarak verdict to be appealed against - Jun 03, 2012
- Prosecutors quiz Mubarak, wife - May 12, 2011
- Mubarak's trial to be held every day - Jan 03, 2012
- Egypt sets up committee to re-check Mubarak's health - May 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,