Mubarak’s aide jailed for seven yearsOctober 13th, 2011 - 9:08 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Oct 13 (IANS) The Cairo criminal court Wednesday sentenced a close aide of former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak to seven years in jail and slapped a fine of four billion US dollars.
The court found fugitive businessman Hussein Salem guilty of laundering more than two billion dollars in the Egyptian-Israeli gas deal, Xinhua reported.
He was pronounced guilty in absentia and jailed along with his son and daughter to seven years, the state media reported.
Salem was arrested June 16 in Spain upon an international warrant. He was accused of involvement in exporting natural gas to Israel at lower prices together with former petroleum minister Sameh Fahmi, squandering state funds and illegally gaining financial benefits.
He was also accused of giving properties to former president Hosni Mubarak and his sons in exchange for access to thousands of fedans (a unit of area) of state lands for his lucrative tourist projects.
Salem fled Egypt Feb 3, eight days before Mubarak was forced to step down.
- Hosni Mubarak's aide arrested in Spain - Jun 17, 2011
- Spain to hand over Mubarak confidant - Oct 11, 2011
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- Ousted Egyptian President Mubarak to stand trial on August 3 - Jun 02, 2011
- Mubarak verdict to be appealed against - Jun 03, 2012
- Mubarak's trial to be held every day - Jan 03, 2012
- "Very sick man" Mubarak 'fainting' due to psychological stress - Feb 15, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
- Egyptian ex-minister sentenced to five years in jail - May 10, 2011
- Mubarak to go on trial over protester shootings - May 25, 2011
- Ousted President Mubarak and sons referred to Egyptian criminal court - May 24, 2011
- Ex-Egyptian minister faces trial for corruption - Mar 05, 2011
- Mubarak quits as ruling party chief, protesters seek his exit (Intro-Roundup) - Feb 06, 2011
- Egypt court grants bail to 14 accused of killing protesters - Jul 05, 2011
- Mubarak's information minister jailed - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: billion dollars, businessman, cairo, criminal court, egypt, egyptian president hosni mubarak, eight days, former president, hosni mubarak, international warrant, israel, natural gas, petroleum, president hosni mubarak, seven years, son and daughter, spain, tourist projects, us dollars, xinhua