MQM leader Imran Farooq murdered outside his London homeSeptember 17th, 2010 - 11:28 am ICT by ANI
London, Sep 17(ANI): Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) party leader Imran Farooq has been murdered in a knife attack outside his home in London.
Farooq was one of the founding members of the MQM- the fourth largest party in Pakistan, and part of the ruling coalition government.
According to reports, Farooq was attacked in Green Lane, Edgware, on Thursday afternoon.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said that officers attended an address in Green Lane after reports of a serious assault.
“On arrival, officers found a single Asian man aged 50 with multiple stab wounds and head injuries,” The Telegraph quoted the spokesman, as saying.
“Paramedics attended the man but he was pronounced dead at the scene,” he added.
Farooq disappeared from Pakistan in 1992, and is known to have been living in exile in London since 1999, when he claimed asylum in the UK.
He is understood to be one of Pakistan’s most wanted fugitives, with charges including murder and torture.
Meanwhile, the MQM party has declared a 10-day mourning period in Pakistan, and in its offices across the world.
Farooq’s body is expected to be brought back to Karachi for burial. (ANI)
- MQM chief murdered in London was about to join Musharraf's party - Sep 27, 2010
- MQM leader killed in London, tension in Karachi (Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- MQM leader killed in London, trouble in Karachi (Second Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- Brit sleuths recover weapons used in MQM leader's murder in London - Oct 02, 2010
- Weapons used in Pakistani leader's murder found - Oct 01, 2010
- Scotland Yard probing Taliban role in MQM leader's assassination in London - Sep 18, 2010
- Nawaz accuses Muttahida Qaumi Movement of killings in Karachi - Dec 27, 2010
- Imran Farooq may have been 'followed' on the day of murder: UK police - Mar 17, 2011
- MQM declares 10-day mourning over Imran Farooq's assassination - Sep 17, 2010
- Pakistan denies report of MQM leader's killers' arrest - Nov 14, 2011
- Widow of Pakistani leader appeals for help - Sep 23, 2010
- Police make witness appeal in Pakistani leader's murder - Sep 19, 2010
- MQM leader's burial in Karachi sparks shutdown, violence - Nov 06, 2010
- UK police arrest 'suspect' involved in MQM leader Imran Farooq's murder - Dec 10, 2010
- Politician Imran Farooq was 'watched' before being stabbed - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: asian man, asylum, coalition government, edgware, head injuries, home london, knife attack, living in exile, metropolitan police, mourning period, mqm, multiple stab wounds, muttahida quami movement, pakistan, paramedics, party leader, spokesman, telegraph, thursday afternoon, wanted fugitives