MPs’ scam prompts Obama’s bro-in-law to pitch himself as a Tory candidateMay 29th, 2009 - 1:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 29 (ANI): US President Barack Obama’s British-based brother-in-law has put himself up as a Conservative candidate for the next general election, following the controversy over lawmakers’ expenses. Ian Manners, who married the US president’s sister, is so outraged by the behaviour of his local MP Andrew MacKay that he will challenge the latter’s claim to throw open the doors to anyone.
According to The Telegraph, Manners acted after MacKay was forced to announce that he will stand down after being called a “thieving toad” by some of his constituents in Bracknell, Berkshire.
Manners, a lifelong Conservative voter, but not a political activist, said: “This is not a gimmick. I am determined to stand and, if I’m honest, know I’d do better than most of the current crop. They are an absolute disgrace, and the public has shown it will no longer tolerate their avarice, arrogance and warped belief that they’re a class apart when it comes to following rules.”
The disgraced MacKay and his MP wife, Julie Kirkbride, have claimed a total of 170,000 pounds in expenses for second homes - covering both their properties - over the past four years. She has now stood down from her seat in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.
President Obama was a guest at his sister’s wedding to Manners, 56, who runs a luxury marquee hire business, in 1996.
Manners, a former golfing partner of the President, vowed to emulate his famous in-law’s honesty and use his template for dialogue over rhetoric, especially when trying to bring together people of all races.
He was divorced from Auma Obama Manners, with whom he has a daughter, Akinyi, 11, in 2000. (ANI)
- Obama's UK step-mom proud her son is meeting the Queen - Mar 31, 2009
- Upgraded tanks arrive in Canada - Sep 14, 2012
- Obama's stepmother granted British citizenship - Dec 13, 2011
- Ex-minister sacked, Tory MP quits over allowances - May 14, 2009
- Former fighter pilot named Canadian military chief - Aug 28, 2012
- DHA may improve memory and learning in older adults: Study - Nov 09, 2010
- Canada plans to resume arms sale to Pakistan - May 21, 2009
- Canada denies lifting arms sales ban on Pakistan - May 22, 2009
- Canadian troops could remain in Afghanistan beyond 2011: Defence Minister - Nov 08, 2010
- Vessel carrying Lankan Tamil refugees heading for Canada - Jul 31, 2010
- Canada plans military bases in global hot spots - Jun 06, 2012
- Former UK MP jailed for role in expenses scandal - Feb 11, 2011
- Sea salt no healthier than table salt - Nov 17, 2011
- Republican 'Young Guns' critical of Bush to offer real change to voters - Sep 06, 2010
- Staying alive on Asian roads (The Funny Side) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: absolute disgrace, arrogance, avarice, barack obama, bracknell berkshire, bro, conservative candidate, constituents, general election, gimmick, golfing partner, honesty, julie kirkbride, lawmakers, manners, political activist, rhetoric, toad, tory candidate, wife julie