Motorsports: Good run by Fisichella with new Force India engineMarch 12th, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Barcelona, March 12 (IANS) Veteran Giancarlo Fisichella of Force India gave the new VJM02 a good run with a 97-lap programme on the penultimate day of the four-day Formula One test session at the Circuit de Catalunya here.
Fisichella posted a best lap of one minute, 21.545 seconds to go quicker Wednesday than team-mate Adrian Sutil who had a 1:21.834 Tuesday.
Commenting on his session, Fisichella said: “We had some good reliability again today and could go through the programme as planned. We did a lot of set up work, which we needed to do after the limited running in Jerez.
“I feel that the mechanical grip is good so we need to concentrate on the aero package now. I’m looking forward to the race simulation tomorrow where we can look at the performance over a longer run.”
Interestingly, Force India, powered by McLaren gearbox and Mercedes engine, was quicker than the British team whose world champion Lewis Hamilton’s fastest lap was a 1:21.657 and finished at the bottom of the time charts.
Hamilton drove 86 laps, but his run was marred by a crash into the tyre barrier as he lost the car on the exit of the second corner.
Fortunately, the damage was not extensive as the team replaced the broken front wing endplate and nose struts.
Meanwhile, Jenson Button, whose Formula One career was revived following the buyout of Honda by Ross Brawn, clocked the day’s fastest time of 1:19.127 during an extended run of 130 laps in the Brawn GP car.
Button topped Ferrari’s Felipe Massa (1:20.168) and BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica (1:20.217).
- Force India's Hulkenberg sets second fastest time in Barcelona - Feb 22, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Force India fourth quickest in F1 testing - Feb 21, 2010
- Di Resta third fastest as second pre-season test ends - Feb 26, 2012
- Force India disappoint, Vettel wins Spanish Grand Prix - May 22, 2011
- Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappoint - Mar 24, 2012
- Di Resta eighth fastest after 'intense' day of testing - Feb 24, 2012
- Force India second fastest in Valencia - Feb 04, 2011
- Motorsports: Force India sixth quickest in test run - Mar 02, 2009
- Vettel claims pole in Hungarian GP, Sutil 8th fastest - Jul 30, 2011
- Force India seventh fastest in pre-season tests - Feb 11, 2010
- Sutil clocks second best in Formula 1 testing - Feb 14, 2010
- Force India second quickest at Jerez testing - Dec 02, 2009
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, both Force Indias in top-10 - Nov 13, 2011
- Force India's Fisichella makes history, Raikkonen wins - Aug 30, 2009
Tags: adrian sutil, bmw sauber, car button, fastest time, felipe massa, force india, formula one, gearbox, giancarlo fisichella, gp car, jenson button, lewis hamilton, mclaren, mercedes engine, race simulation, robert kubica, team mate, test session, time charts, world champion