Motor launch sunk in Maoist attack retrievedJuly 7th, 2008 - 1:31 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar July 7 (IANS) Security personnel retrieved a motor launch that sank in a reservoir in Orissa’s Malkangiri district following a Maoist attack June 29, officials said Monday. “The vessel was lifted with the help of three powerful balloons,” district superintendent of police Satish Gajbhiye told IANS. “We have recovered 32 bodies so far and the number people still reported missing is six.”
Gajbhiye said the vessel was brought to the shore Sunday night. “The vessel will be checked thoroughly and we fear the missing bodies could be trapped in it,” he added.
The Maoists attacked a ferry carrying Andhra Pradesh police’s elite anti-Maoist force personnel when they were returning from neighbouring Orissa after assisting the police there to crack down on the rebels.
The Maoist ambush left 38 security personnel missing. The majority of the bodies were recovered from the sunken boat.