Most Americans consider China an ally of US: PollJanuary 31st, 2011 - 5:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 31 (ANI): Several issues might have strained bilateral relations between Washington and Beijing, but a latest poll has found that nearly 71.8 percent Americans consider China as an ally of the US or maintained a neutral attitude toward it.
Only 27.3 percent viewed China as an enemy of the United States, the China Daily quoted a survey by the Institute of Arts and Humanities at Shanghai Jiao Tong University in collaboration with Duke University in North Carolina and Indiana University, as saying.
“It is the first time that a Chinese research institute initiated a survey on Americans’ impressions of China,” Liu Kang, dean of the institute, who led the survey, said.
The poll, conducted from June to November 2010, also found that most respondents consider the US-Sino relationship as important, and added that both the countries share many common interests.
Nearly 60 percent agreed that the US economy would suffer if trade relations were severed with China. Besides, 61 percent of respondents agreed that “China has been influential in world politics” and 77 percent said they expected China’s influence to increase over the next 10 years.
However, on being asked about issues between the two countries, 62.7 percent thought the Obama Administration is not “tough enough” on issues concerning China.
The poll also found that 72.5 percent of the respondents disagreed with the statement “China has an appealing popular culture”, while only 40.6 percent agreed that China has a rich cultural heritage.
“Chinese people have long been proud of the country’s 5,000-year-old civilization, but apparently the Americans did not resonate with us on this,” Liu said. (ANI)
- Obama meets Dalai Lama, defying Chinese warnings (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Chinese city removes sex textbook from shelves - Sep 01, 2011
- Chinese students not keen on news shows - Aug 07, 2012
- Obama meets Dalai Lama defying Chinese warnings (Third Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- First Sino-US joint university to start - Mar 29, 2012
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- Most Chinese view Sino-US ties as "very-important" : Poll - Jan 17, 2011
- China looks for potential pilots on college campuses - Nov 29, 2011
- Few Chinese deem China as superpower - Jan 01, 2011
- Chinese banking model unsustainable: Daily - Feb 22, 2012
- Chinese unhappy with sex life, blame it on work - Oct 28, 2010
- Chinese 'afraid of aging process' - Sep 25, 2010
- 70pc Chinese men 'dissatisfied with their sex lives' - Oct 28, 2010
- China, India to hold border talks - Jan 14, 2012
- Chinese think China-US ties important, survey shows - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,