Moscow wants missile defence talks at NATO summitMarch 6th, 2012 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow , March 6 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian president is unlikely to attend a NATO summit in Chicago if the missile defence issue is not on its agenda, deputy foreign minister Sergei Ryabkov said Tuesday.
“Russia has an invitation to the NATO summit; everything depends on the agenda,” he said.
However, if the issue of the NATO missile defence system remains unchanged, then the chances of the Russian president attending the summit “will be even smaller”, he added.
“We have a considerable amount of work in progress but in the absence of [a discussion] on missile defence there would probably not be enough to take part in the summit,” Ryabkov said.
NATO members agreed to create a missile shield over Europe to protect it against ballistic missiles launched by so-called rogue states, such as Iran and North Korea, at a summit in Lisbon, Portugal, in 2010.
Russia has demanded that NATO provide written, legally binding guarantees that its missile shield will not be directed against Moscow. But the alliance has been reluctant to meet the demand.
- US, Russia to continue missile defence talks - Aug 09, 2011
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister - Sep 04, 2011
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- Russia, NATO to hold missile defence drills - Feb 02, 2012
- Russia expects US compromise on missile defense - Oct 27, 2011
- Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama's tenure: US envoy - May 28, 2011
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Russia to build anti-NATO missile shield - Feb 05, 2012
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: ballistic missiles, dg, foreign minister, guarantees, invitation, iran, lisbon portugal, missile defence system, missile shield, moscow, nato, nato members, nato missile, nato summit, north korea, ria novosti, rogue states, russia, russian president, work in progress