Moscow to have solar-powered bus stopsMarch 16th, 2012 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Though the Russian capital is not known for its sunshine, authorities believe the city gets enough sunlight to afford solar-powered bus stops.
The stops, which will use solar energy collected during day to provide lightning for passengers at night, are part of the City Hall’s strategy for tackling Moscow’s abysmal transportation problems, said Deputy Mayor Nikolai Lyamov.
Moscow will invest 192 billion rubles (around $6.5 billion) for updating its mass transit and road network in 2012, Lyamov said.
In addition to solar-powered bus stops, money will also be spent on roadside traffic jam warning boards, and new “adaptive” traffic light systems.
The total number of solar-powered bus stops was not specified.
Moscow gets about 1,700 hours of sunshine a year — more than London — but the insolation level, or measure of energy, the Russian capital get from the sun is far below Miami or Paris, said the Moscow-meteo.ru website.
- Kalashnikov rifle sales up by 57 percent in 2011 - Jan 26, 2012
- Gazprom offers gas price discounts to EU firms - Jun 28, 2012
- Anti-crisis measures cost Russia about $100 bn : Putin - Jan 18, 2012
- Fraud case launched over Sochi 2014 Olympic projects - Aug 09, 2012
- Russia to sell silver, diamonds worth over $300 mn - Feb 22, 2012
- Putin top campaign spender - Mar 02, 2012
- Russia to spend $160 mn on health care in 2011 - Mar 06, 2011
- Lightning strikes German tourist bus in Russia - Aug 12, 2011
- Russia resumes power supplies after Belarus pays up arrears - Jul 02, 2011
- Moscow to spend about $892 mn on hospitals' renovation - Apr 25, 2011
- Russia brings in Foreign Accounts Information Law - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia to build world's most powerful laser station - Feb 10, 2012
- Russian Navy working on 30-year development plan - Feb 06, 2012
- Putin's presidential campaign goes online - Jan 12, 2012
- Signal received from missing Indonesian satellite - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: 192, authorities, city hall, deputy mayor, lightning, mass transit, meteo, moscow, nikolai, paris, ria novosti, ru, rubles, russian capital, solar energy, sunlight, sunshine, traffic jam, traffic light, transportation problems