Moscow becomes world’s billionaire capital: ForbesMarch 6th, 2008 - 5:16 pm ICT by admin
New York, March 6 (RIA Novosti) Moscow now has 74 billionaires with average wealth of $5.9 billion, placing it above New York, Forbes Magazine said in its annual rich list published Thursday. According to the list, New York has 71 billionaires, followed by London with 36, Istanbul with 34, and Hong Kong with 30.
Russia is second only to the United States in the number of its super-rich. An additional 35 Russians have crossed the $1 billion mark in the past year, propped by the continuing rise of the rouble against the dollar.
“Sixteen years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia, with 87 billionaires, is the new No. 2 country behind the US, easily overtaking Germany, with 59 billionaires, which held the honour for six years,” said Forbes associate editor Luisa Kroll.
The Unites States accounts for 469 (42 percent) of the world’s billionaires.
Topping the list of Russia’s billionaires is Oleg Deripaska with $28 billion, placing him ninth in the world, ahead of the more famous Roman Abramovich with $23.5 billionn, in the 15th place.
Deripaska’s holding company Basic Element owns huge assets in insurance, auto manufacture, and aluminium, while Abramovich, since selling his oil company Sibneft to Russian state-controlled gas giant Gazprom in 2005, has bought steel and mining assets. He also owns Chelsea Football Club.
Russia’s richest woman remains Elena Baturina, the 45-year-old second wife of Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov (71). Forbes estimates that she has added $1.1 billion to her personal wealth in the past year, bringing it up to $4.2 billion and putting her in 253rd place globally.
- President of Bank of Moscow flees Russia - Apr 05, 2011
- Medvedev orders probe into sale of land for embassies - Oct 26, 2011
- Britain refuses asylum request from Moscow bankers - May 03, 2012
- Gay rights activists detained in Moscow - May 28, 2012
- Roman Abramovich buys island for $400 million to showcase his art collection - Dec 08, 2010
- Gazprom inks sponsorship deal with Chelsea - Jul 18, 2012
- Chelsea owner Abramovich's wealth declaration reveals his billions from business - Feb 17, 2011
- Chelsea Football club owner Roman Abramovich to run for the Russian parliament - Dec 17, 2010
- Russian billionaire to invest $1 bn in development projects - Feb 29, 2012
- Russian tycoon may run for president - Sep 03, 2011
- Top 100 Russian billionaires worth over $522 bn: Forbes - Apr 19, 2008
- Vladimir Lisin named richest Russian with $18.8 bn - Feb 15, 2010
- Mexican Carlos Slim tops world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- Putin calls for auction sales of strategic deposits - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia's richest tycoon names $100 mn Yacht after mother - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: basic element, billionaires, chelsea football club, collapse of the soviet union, collapse of the soviet union russia, elena baturina, forbes magazine, gas giant gazprom, insurance auto, luisa kroll, moscow mayor, oleg deripaska, personal wealth, ria novosti, rich list, richest woman, roman abramovich, russian state, sibneft, yury luzhkov