More than an assault a day in UK JobcentresDecember 31st, 2008 - 2:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 31 (ANI): Jobcentres in the UK have turned into assault-centres, for more than one assault takes place in offices every day, show official figures.
Records from Department of Work and Pensions, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, revealed that there were a total of 440 confirmed assaults at Jobcentres last year.
Had attempted or verbal assaults were included, the figure could be much higher. In total there were 1,277 assaults at Jobcentres in the last three years.
Currently, Jobcentres boasts of over 1,600 security guards to protect staff and clients, who are paid almost 40 million pounds every year.
The Tories, who obtained the figures, cautioned that the risks and costs of violence against staff could increase with more people losing their jobs and requiring state help.
According to Chris Grayling, the Tory shadow work and pensions spokesman, the situation was “nothing short of a disgrace”.
“If unemployment rises you have to suspect that it will get worse, The Telegraph quoted him as saying.
He added: “The Government is talking tough on welfare at the moment in the hope that they can grab some headlines, but when you look at what they are actually doing, they aren”t even willing to take tough decisions to protect their own staff. It’’s all totally unacceptable.”
A DWP spokesperson said: The use or threat of violence will not be tolerated in Jobcentre Plus offices. In addition to prosecuting the people who commit such acts, as part of our welfare reforms we are introducing a sanction to tackle violent behaviour through a loss of benefit giving claimants the clear message that this type of behaviour is unacceptable.” (ANI)
- Jobcentre staff assaults increasing in economic downturn - Dec 21, 2009
- Jobcentre staff in UK probed after calling homosexual couple 'gay boys' - Dec 30, 2010
- 370,000 migrants in Britain claim out-of-work benefits - Jan 20, 2012
- Britain plans to stop incapacity benefits - Jul 12, 2010
- A violent attack occurs in UK every 30 seconds: Survey - Apr 23, 2010
- 9 out of 10 "on the sick" Britons fit enough to work - Jul 14, 2009
- Britain introduces 40 bn pound austerity measures - Jun 22, 2010
- Three British policemen sacked every week - Jan 30, 2012
- One in 30 Britons have never done a day's work in their lifetime, says report - Sep 14, 2010
- UK parents face government 'fees' to break-up - Jan 09, 2011
- No reports of sexual violence by Indian troops in Kashmir: UN - Apr 06, 2011
- Italy decides to recall its ambassador to Tehran - Dec 02, 2011
- Can't play guns and armies, 7-year olds told - May 31, 2011
- BBC spends 50,000 pounds a day on taxis - Sep 05, 2010
- Execute arrest warrants: Indian-origin British MP - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: claimants, department of work and pensions, disgrace, freedom of information, freedom of information act, grayling, jobcentre, jobcentres, sanction, security guards, shadow work, spokesman, spokesperson, telegraph, tories, tory, verbal assaults, violent behaviour, welfare reforms, work and pensions