More than 20 insurgents killed in AfghanistanOctober 20th, 2008 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Oct 20 (Xinhua) The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has killed more than 20 insurgents during a two-day operation in the eastern Afghan province of Wardak, an alliance statement said Monday. Meanwhile, the US-led coalition forces have detained eight suspected militants in Paktia province in the east, it said.
ISAF engaged militants with “close-air support” in Jalrez district of Wardak since Oct 16 and pushed the militants south into another district of Nerkh, said the statement.
“After 10 hours of fighting in Nerkh, ISAF troops countered the insurgent threat and secured those districts killing over 20 militants,” it said. “No ISAF soldiers were killed during the engagements,” it added.
In another operation, coalition forces Sunday detained eight suspected militants belonging to Taliban leader Jalaluddin Haqqani’s network in Paktia province, said the statement.
“Coalition forces searched a compound in Zadran District, targeting a Haqqani sub-commander who is suspected of coordinating militant activities to destabilize Afghan government,” it said.
Haqqani, who served as a minister and chief of army staff during Taliban regime in Afghanistan, is a close aide to Taliban chief Mullah Mohammad Omar and has been leading Taliban fighters in east Afghanistan which turned into a stronghold of Taliban insurgency.
- Senior Haqqani leader captured in Afghanistan: NATO - Oct 01, 2011
- NATO-led air strike kills senior Haqqani leader in eastern Afghanistan - Oct 06, 2011
- Three women killed during NATO operation in eastern Afghanistan - Apr 28, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Coalition forces kill 20 Taliban in Afghanistan - Aug 12, 2010
- Afghan-international force arrests Taliban sub-commander in central-east Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2010
- 80 Taliban killed in failed attack on NATO combat post in Afghanistan near Pak border - Oct 31, 2010
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 14 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- Taliban cell leader and other suspected insurgents captured throughout Afghanistan - Jul 25, 2010
- Over 1,400 Haqqani fighters held in Afghanistan this year - Oct 10, 2011
- Top leader of Haqqani network nabbed, say reports - Dec 25, 2010
- Three Taliban killed, 29 held in Afghanistan - Dec 01, 2011