More than 150 Kurdish rebels killed in Iraq: Turkish ArmyMay 4th, 2008 - 4:44 am ICT by admin
Ankara, May 4 (Xinhua) More than 150 rebels of the Kurdish rebels have been killed in a series of air raids in the past two days, the Turkish Army has said. In a statement posted on its website Saturday, the Turkish General Staff said the air raids carried out by the army Thursday and Friday killed more than 150 members of the outlawed Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) and the operation led to panic among the rebels.
Several senior PKK commanders might be among those killed, the statement added.
However, PKK spokesman Ahmed Danis denied the Turkish military claim, saying that only six of their fighters had been killed during the air raids.
“Turkish media is exaggerating the number of people killed and wounded,” he said.
Turkish jets bombed targets of the PKK in northern Iraq Thursday, according to the report, and the raid, which started shortly before midnight and continued onto Friday, targeted PKK camps in the Qandil area of northern Iraq.
Besides the deaths, Turkish jets destroyed 29 hideouts, five caves, three checkpoints and one communication point belonging to the Kurdish rebels, the statement added.
The Turkish military has periodically bombed and shelled suspected PKK positions in northern Iraq during the past few months. In February it launched an eight-day ground incursion into Iraq.
The PKK, listed by the US and Turkey as a terrorist group, took up arms against Turkey in 1984 with the aim of creating an ethnic homeland in the southeast. More than 30,000 people have been killed in the over-two-decade conflict.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Turkish planes hit Kurdish targets in Iraq - Dec 29, 2008
- Turkish planes strike Kurdish targets in Iraq - Feb 06, 2009
- Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish separatists in Iraq - Jul 24, 2008
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkish jets pound PKK positions in northern Iraq - Dec 18, 2008
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- 17 dead in Turkey clash - Jul 01, 2010
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- 30 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jun 25, 2012
- Russia urges Syria, Turkey against clash - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: air raids, ankara, caves, checkpoints, communication point, deaths, decade, hideouts, incursion, jets, kurdish rebels, kurdish workers party, northern iraq, pkk, spokesman, terrorist group, turkish army, turkish general staff, turkish media, xinhua