More miners found dead in South Africa, toll over 60June 2nd, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, June 2 (DPA) The toll in one of the worst mining accidents in South Africa in recent years rose to 67 Tuesday as more bodies of illegal miners who died at a gold mine in Free State province were brought to the surface.
The police said 25 more bodies had been recovered from Harmony Gold Mining Company’s Eland mine Tuesday.
On Monday, Harmony, the world’s fifth-largest gold producer, said the bodies of 36 illegal miners had been pulled out of the mine by fellow illegal miners last weekend. The miners said a fire had broken out underground in an abandoned part of the mine.
Police said another six miners had been found dead at the same mine.
Illegal mining is rampant in South African gold mines, especially when gold prices are high.
The miners comb disused parts of mines for gold deposits, working at great personal risk, because these part of the mine, when no longer maintained, fill with noxious gases and are prone to fires.
The miners that escaped the accident had asked Harmony to send workers down to fetch the bodies but Harmony had refused to risk its own workers, Marian Van der Walt, a spokeswoman for Harmony, said.
Van der Walt said the miners had probably suffocated.
Over the past two weeks, 294 illegal miners have been found at Eland mine and charged, Harmony said.
Police captain Stephen Thakeng told DPA the miners were usually from South Africa or from neighbouring Lesotho and Mozambique. Both Lesotho and Mozambique have for decades supplied workers to gold mines in South Africa, the world’s third-largest gold producing country, after China and the US.
In 2007, 23 illegal miners died in an underground fire, also in Free State province.
- Bodies of 42 illegal miners found in South Africa - Jun 01, 2009
- Death toll rises to 37 after last miners found dead in central China mine - Oct 19, 2010
- Toll reaches 28 in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 12, 2011
- Man trapped in Peru gold mine rescued - Apr 20, 2012
- Up to 20 reported dead after shooting spree at South African mine - Aug 13, 2010
- Six dead in central China coal mine gas leak - Nov 16, 2011
- Elevator crashes at mine in eastern China, killing 13 - Mar 17, 2012
- China: 11 workers confirmed dead in Changzhi mine accident - Apr 17, 2012
- Sound raises hope trapped Chinese miners still alive - Aug 29, 2011
- Five die in China mine collapse - Sep 25, 2011
- Seven Chinese miners killed in gas burst (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- 18 shot at in South Africa platinum mine conflict - Aug 17, 2012
- Seven killed in China mine collapse - Feb 20, 2012
- 11 trapped miners in China still alive - Jul 08, 2012
- Gas leak in China kills seven - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: captain stephen, comb, eland, free state province, gold deposits, gold mine, gold mines in south africa, gold mining company, gold prices, gold producer, harmony gold mining, harmony gold mining company, marian, miners, noxious gases, personal risk, police captain, south african gold, underground fire, van der walt