More Indians assaulted in AustraliaJanuary 16th, 2010 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 16 (IANS) Two more Indian taxi drivers, one of whom was a student, were attacked Saturday in Australia’s Ballarat city, making it the fourth attack on the community members in the past three days.
The attack came a day after a man was sentenced to three months in jail for assaulting and threatening to kill an Indian cabby.
This is the fourth such attack on Indians in the city in the past three days, The Age reported.
The driver, who is studying business administration in Ballarat, said he feared for his life but the attack would not stop him from driving taxis.
Police were also investigating a separate incident in which another Indian taxi driver was threatened with a knife.
The first incident took place Friday when a 24-year-old taxi driver, who was verbally abused by the passenger, sought refuge at a Ballarat service station. The passenger followed the driver into the service station and allegedly assaulted him. The window shield of the cab was smashed and the driver received bruises on his upper body and face.
The second incident occurred about an hour later when another taxi was called to Birdwood Avenue. “This time there were only two male offenders,” detective senior constable Jeff Highthorn said.
“And they also were skylarking around in the taxi and they fled from the taxi without paying. As they fled, they produced a small knife.”
According to police, the two incidents were linked and the attacks were opportunistic rather than racially motivated.
There have been a string of attacks on Indians in Australia, causing an outcry in India. Two of the vicious attacks proved fatal.
While Ranjodh Singh’s body was found Dec 29, another Indian, Nitin Garg, was fatally stabbed in Melbourne Jan 2. An Indian was set on fire in Melbourne Jan 9 while another Indian was assaulted at Coogee beach in Sydney Jan 11.
- Indian taxi driver attacked in Australia - Jan 15, 2010
- Now, Victoria Police claims booze, not racism behind attacks on Indian cabbies - Jan 16, 2010
- Two Australians charged with assaulting Indian - Jan 23, 2010
- Another Indian taxi driver assaulted in Melbourne - Jan 20, 2010
- Krishna asks mission in Australia for report on cabbie assault - Jan 20, 2010
- Indian taxi driver assaulted in Australia, attacker jailed (Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Two more Indians assaulted in Australia - Jan 22, 2010
- Indian taxi driver in Australia stabbed in the lung - Jan 21, 2010
- Taxi driver attacked in Australia, India seeks report (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Indian attacked in Australia, protest in Delhi over gurdwara fire (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Australia determined to act on attacks, says envoy - Jan 15, 2010
- Two Indian students attacked in Australia - Jan 26, 2010
- Australian police to reconstruct Indian's fatal stabbing - Jan 23, 2010
- 'Students going to Australia need orientation' - Jan 18, 2010
- Australia punishes perpetrators of attacks against Indians - Jan 15, 2010
Tags: australia melbourne, ballarat city, birdwood, bruises, business administration, cabby, community members, constable, detective, garg, India, indians in australia, nitin, outcry, sydney, taxi driver, taxi drivers, taxis, three months, vicious attacks