More convictions in Germany for attack on Indians

February 25th, 2009 - 6:22 am ICT by IANS  

Leipzig (Germany), Feb 25 (DPA) A German court convicted three more men Tuesday of assault in connection with a 2007 attack on a group of Indian migrants.
After a dance-floor brawl, the Indians fled across a street to a pizza parlour, pursued by a crowd of German men. Police were also injured as they drove back the mob in the eastern town of Muegeln.

Leipzig prosecutors said Tuesday evening that the court in Oschatz had handed one man, aged 22, a suspended, 20-month jail term after he pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm, perjury and sedition.

Witnesses said he hit the Indians and yelled racist insults.

Another man, 24, received a suspended term of 14 months for participating in causing grievous bodily harm. Witnesses said he kicked an Indian man who was lying on the ground.

A man who was 18 at the time of the August 2007 violence was found guilty of an assault before the mob chase and was ordered to do community service. Witnesses said he released a pepper spray into the face of an Indian running from the dance tent before the mob chase.

Eight Indians had been attending the dance during a town festival when the violence broke out. They suffered bruises and cuts.

Witnesses said worse might have happened if the police had not intervened so quickly.

The incident caused shock in India and calls for the government to act. Indian diplomats protested to German authorities.

A series of German men have been convicted of assault and sedition. The most serious penalties were suspended jail terms.

Prosecutors in Leipzig said Tuesday’s convictions completed the inquiry, and nobody else would be charged.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |