More bowling options for World T20 post-IPL: DhoniMay 24th, 2009 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, May 24 (IANS) Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said the success of part-time bowlers in the Indian Premier League (IPL) has given him more choices to explore at next month’s Twenty20 World Cup in England.
Dhoni said the IPL experience will put the defending champions in good stead in World T20 starting June 5.
Dhoni said: “Last year’s IPL helped the Indian team perform better in Twenty20 and One-day format. Hopefully this year’s tournament will take us to the next level.”
“The good thing you see in this tournament that will help us in ICC World Twenty20 is the emergence of part-timers who have done well. You see some of the hat-tricks that are taken in the tournament are by the part-timers, so that really is a big help,” Dhoni said Saturday.
Yusuf Pathan and Suresh Raina are some of the part-time bowlers who have got breakthroughs for their teams and Dhoni is keen to try them out in the World Twenty20 championships.
“Most of the spinners are part-timers who are a part of the side, they have bowled in pressure situations. Not much of spin, maybe the ball holds on a bit over here. But overall the experience will really count.”
“Yusuf Pathan bowled well when field restrictions were on. Even Harbhajan (Singh) and (Pragyan) Ojha bowled well for their teams during that period.”
Dhoni, who led India to World Twenty20 title here in 2007, also said the close matches in IPL will help the players remain calm and focussed in pressure situations.
“Most of the Indian batsmen and bowlers have been under pressure at different points in the tournament. They will handle the pressure well when it comes to an international T20 game also.
“There are loads of positives that will help the players who were part of the side. We have seen new domestic players coming up and performing at this level. Some of the players who didn’t really perform in last year’s IPL have put up better performance this year.”
- Trying to stay away from the distractions: Dhoni - Mar 29, 2011
- Yuvraj key player for team in World Twenty20: Dhoni - Apr 27, 2010
- Bowling key for India in World Twenty20 - Apr 28, 2010
- Team India prepared enough for T20 World Cup: Dhoni - Apr 27, 2010
- Indo-Pak WC semi-final clash: Dhoni asks teammates to ignore hype - Mar 29, 2011
- This Indian team can fight till the last ball: Harbhajan (Interview, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 08, 2011
- India to begin World Twenty20 campaign against Afghanistan - Apr 30, 2010
- Dhoni happy with Yuvraj's return to international cricket - Sep 12, 2012
- World Cup returns to the Caribbean as Twenty20 - Apr 29, 2010
- We are Champions League favourites: Tiwary - May 28, 2012
- Indian team wants to win World Cup for Tendulkar (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 01, 2011
- Injuries, form a concern ahead of World T20 selection - Mar 25, 2010
- Team that handles pressure better will clinch series: Dhoni - Jan 22, 2011
- India look to bounce back against South Africa - Jan 14, 2011
- We are ready for the final: Dhoni (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: bowlers, field restrictions, hat tricks, icc world twenty20, indian batsmen, indian captain, ipl, johannesburg, mahendra singh dhoni, ojha, part timers, pragyan, premier league, pressure situations, spinners, stead, suresh raina, t20, twenty20 world cup, yusuf pathan