Moore pledges cash for AIDS fight by male circumcisionFebruary 24th, 2009 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 24 (IANS) Former James Bond star Roger Moore has pledged to donate money to the AIDS-devastated Southern African country Swaziland.
The British actor will hand the proceeds from an appearance at the Eilat Chamber Music Festival, which kicked off Sunday, to the Jerusalem AIDS Project (JAIP) - an Israeli programme that encourages male circumcision as a way of reducing AIDS and HIV in Africa, reports Contactmusic.com.
Moore hopes his monetary gesture will help to pay for Israelis to train natives in the art of performing circumcisions, as an estimated 185,000 of Swaziland’s 1.1 million population is HIV positive.
“Who better than Jewish and Muslim doctors (from Israel) to carry out this procedure? Because they do it by the thousands,” he said.
- Roger Moore to help Israeli group fight AIDS in Africa - Feb 24, 2009
- Palestinians organise local marathon to reject Israeli one - Mar 19, 2012
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- Israel to build fence along border with Egypt - Jan 11, 2010
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Netanyahu injured in friendly soccer match - Jun 12, 2012
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Nevada observes 25th Thanksgiving with Christian-Muslim-Hindu-Buddhist-Jewish-Baha'i prayers - Nov 26, 2010
- Wish you a very happy Rosh Hashana 2011 - Sep 28, 2011
- Israel envoy admits that ties with US in 'crisis of historic proportions' - Mar 16, 2010
- To take part in South African festival, circumcise - Dec 22, 2010
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Clinton's remarks on Israeli democracy spark lawmakers' ire - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: 1 million, aids, aids fight, appearance, british actor, chamber music festival, circumcisions, gesture, hiv, hiv positive, israelis, james bond star, jerusalem aids project, london feb, male circumcision, muslim doctors, natives, pledges, proceeds, roger moore