Monets water lily painting fetches record PS41m at auctionJune 25th, 2008 - 6:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 25 (ANI): Claude Monet’s painting of water lilies has sold for a record 40.9 million pounds at an auction in London.
The Le bassin aux nympheas painting, in the series of four large-scale pictures, signed and dated by the artist in 1919, broke the record of a painting titled Le Pont du chemin de fer a Argenteuil that was sold for 41 million dollars in New York last year.
The Monet canvas was sold to a telephone bidder.
Before the auction, Olivier Camu, Christie’s director and head of Impressionist and Modern Art, described it as “the greatest of Claude Monet’s water-lily pictures to be offered at auction in Europe”.
The auction also had works by Picasso, Matisse, Kandinsky, Renoir, Degas and Henry Moore. (ANI)
- Picasso masterpiece auctioned in Britain - Jun 24, 2010
- Rarely-seen Claude Monet painting may fetch PS24 million at auction - Jun 21, 2008
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- London auctions prove that art is now for the super-rich - Jun 29, 2008
- Claude Monet painting fetches $41.48 mn - May 07, 2008
- Picasso's 'Nude, Green Leaves and Bust' fetches record $106m at Christie's - May 05, 2010
- 600M Worth of Picasso, Matisse, Modigliani Paintings Stolen! - May 20, 2010
- Claude Monet''s painting Dans La Prairie goes under the hammer next month - Jan 13, 2009
- Munch's 'The Scream' sold for record $119 million at U.S. art auction - May 03, 2012
- Czech police look for stolen Picasso, Renoir paintings - Jul 12, 2012
- Mao Zedong prints sell for nearly $1 mn - Apr 23, 2011
- Campaign launched to save impressionists artwork in France - Dec 15, 2008
- I've stopped being fussy, says world's wealthiest person - Mar 30, 2011
- Bunch of unseen Picasso paintings found in France - Nov 30, 2010
- Chinese painting sold for over $23 mn - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: argenteuil, auction, camu, canvas, christie, claude monet, degas, europe, henry moore, kandinsky, london, matisse, million dollars, modern art, monets, painting, picasso, renoir, water lilies, water lily pictures